Just an update for anyone who is interested. He is still with us, and has undergone some further treatment...

Original anti fungal (phenoxyethanol) did nothing.

Half strength salt treatment did seem to help a little but nothing remarkable.

Diluted the salt out and now brought out the big guns haha...

Dosed the first half dose of waterlife protozin yesterday (after long discussions with waterlife ukā€™s team (Alex is very helpful!) and this morning Iā€™m already noticing a marked improvement in my BN.

I will continue treatment as recommended by Alex at waterlife, and report back...

Iā€™m fairly sure Iā€™m getting somewhere now, but donā€™t want to speak too soon!

What has Alex said it is.
He wasnā€™t 100% sure but was convinced there was some form of infection (fungal, parasitical or bacterial) present. He recommended protozin as itā€™s a very broad spectrum medication, that has proven itself to cure a LOT of fishy issues (apparently too many to list on the bottle!).

He told me to use it for a week, as per the instructions on the bottle but to halve the dose, as we all know, plecos are sensitive to most chemicals. If I saw no improvement he suggested myxazin as that can treat some of the more resistant bacteria. Iā€™m hoping not to get to that stage!

I may very well have this completely wrong - but - the thing on your fish looks (and moves) like some kind of coelenterate. This is an invertebrate group which includes jellyfish, corals and hydras. There seems to be a central mouth with surrounding tentacles which are wafting food towards the mouth. Is it possible that something has just hitched a ride on your fish?
Or do BNP gills usually move like that?

I'm right there with you brother. The idea of something like a gill flukes in my water-box is driving me bananas. If there were such a thing as a pleco physician I would have been there days ago, and I hate doctors.

He wasnā€™t 100% sure but was convinced there was some form of infection (fungal, parasitical or bacterial) present. He recommended protozin as itā€™s a very broad spectrum medication, that has proven itself to cure a LOT of fishy issues (apparently too many to list on the bottle!).

He told me to use it for a week, as per the instructions on the bottle but to halve the dose, as we all know, plecos are sensitive to most chemicals. If I saw no improvement he suggested myxazin as that can treat some of the more resistant bacteria. Iā€™m hoping not to get to that stage!
Well Fungal, parasitical or bacterial just about has all the bases covered, so he has no idea.

Well Fungal, parasitical or bacterial just about has all the bases covered, so he has no idea.

I've watched nature programs for a long time. We've only seen one "fungus" THIS animated, and that was in a cave a long, long way from here.

The consensus is that the moving 'things' are a normal part of plec's anatomy (which Colin calls 'breeding spikes'), it's just that they are covered with something white and fuzzy which makes them look different from usual. The problem is working out the cause of the white fuzziness in order to treat it.
Look at post #112 on page 8 for a video showing what they are supposed to look like.

The consensus is that the moving 'things' are a normal part of plec's anatomy (which Colin calls 'breeding spikes'),

That tracks. My albino hangs out in his designated corner of the tank sometimes. Once, with his weird "equipment" extended, they nearly reached for a passing tankmate. I really hope these things are a variant of a sharks claspers', Essjay.

Thatā€™s a shame itā€™s still not doing any better. :(

Just an update for anyone who is interested. He is still with us, and has undergone some further treatment...

Original anti fungal (phenoxyethanol) did nothing.

Half strength salt treatment did seem to help a little but nothing remarkable.

Diluted the salt out and now brought out the big guns haha...

Dosed the first half dose of waterlife protozin yesterday (after long discussions with waterlife ukā€™s team (Alex is very helpful!) and this morning Iā€™m already noticing a marked improvement in my BN.

I will continue treatment as recommended by Alex at waterlife, and report back...

Iā€™m fairly sure Iā€™m getting somewhere now, but donā€™t want to speak too soon!
I'm glad to hear that your little fish bud is doing better. I was wondering about him. Did your advisor tell you what it was on/in your Pleco?? There was a lot of going back and forth, fungus or parasite??? Or something else???

There was a lot of going back and forth, fungus or parasite??? Or something else???

Either way, if my albino has been stricken, it's a good thing. He scavenges for a large portion of his day and is smart enough to show up to his "indicator" corner when he wants a dedicated feed. Even with his "claspers", he seems to be in good health.

Hi @JamieTYV
How is he doing today ?
Sorry for the late response, my shop reopened on Monday and I have had an insane amount of work to do!

Heā€™s still with us and seems to have made some improvements, he simply has white lumps now (no fuzz or ā€œalien from the abyssā€ evident on him, but I fear he might have reacted poorly to the copper sulphate in the protozin... he has what look like ulcers (will post photos when I get the opportunity) all along his sides where they meet his underneath. We have done a 90% water change in the hospital tank and will see how he copes with no medicine. He has been eating and pooping - this was very evident when doing the large water change. Will keep reporting for all those who may be interested. Just hope I can save this little guy!

Update, just managed a picture, poor lad :(
2276A4AE-FBD6-428B-A1D6-AE18EEBEE516.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back