What is this mystery fish?

RoseRed

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long I have had this mystery fish as he only comes out of hiding on very rare occasions, but the first time I saw him was a few months ago. When I saw him, I was like "What the heck is that?"
To me he kind of looks like what you might get if you bred a yoyo loach with a bristle-nose catfish (both of those types of fish are fish that I DO have in my tank).
Anyway I will post a video of the fish in question. Don't worry about the audio as that is just TV right near me. I also apologise that the video probably isn't the best as he lives in a boat towards one end of the tank and unfortunately there is a cat tower on the wall near where the tank is, so I can't really squeeze in between the two very easily.
But anyway, he is the fish seen coming out of the ship at the 3 second mark.

Looks like Corydoras Paleatus to me, but I could be wrong. Hard to tell.

Looks like Corydoras Paleatus to me, but I could be wrong. Hard to tell.
You might be right.
He still looks a bit strange compared to the ones on Google images, but close enough I guess.
I'm thinking he must have ended up in my tank when he was a baby. Maybe hidden in some plants or something, because I've never actually bought a Corydoras until about 2 weeks ago, and both of those are small albino ones.

Wow, what an unusual looking fish! I don't know what it is, but it's not a corydora, definitely not corydora paleatus. The body shape is all wrong, along with colouring/size etc.

Tagging @Byron @Wills @WhistlingBadger and @Essjay since I think one of them will know!

They’re called Corydoras, not Corydora. Corydoras is singular. :)
Thanks, I do know usually, and would have italicised too if I took more time, but sleep deprived and grieving, so typed hastily :)

Any ideas on how OP ended up with this fish in his tank? I've heard of accidental egg and fry transfer, the occasional guppy or tetra, but this is the first I've heard of a syno accidentally being transferred with a plant or other fish!

They’re called Corydoras, not Corydora. Corydoras is singular. :)

No it is :

1 Corydoras
2 Corydoras

Ah, thank you both! In that case, I didn't know that, and appreciate the correction :D

That's going to take me a while to get used to, my brain automatically thinks cory/cories, and corydora/corydoras, I think that's common in English speakers when we haven't been taught Latin. But I'm always open to learning and improving! So thank you :)

It's the same if you had a Puntius something, you'd say I have 1 puntius or I have half a dozen puntius. It's just in the case of cories the full common name is also the scientific name, whereas you'd actually say I have a barb rather than a puntius.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back