What is this? How do you remove?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SolarStud

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am very new to he hobby and have had a little bit of a algae outbreak within last week or so. I searched online to find out what type this is and how to remove it but the more I search the more confused I have find myself. Can any one help out a newbie? Thanks

Attachments

• 20200924_114425.jpg
    20200924_114425.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200924_114433.jpg
    20200924_114433.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 86
Hello everyone. I am very new to he hobby and have had a little bit of a algae outbreak within last week or so. I searched online to find out what type this is and how to remove it but the more I search the more confused I have find myself. Can any one help out a newbie? Thanks
Hi! Is your tank cycled?

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It comes in a range of colours from various shades of green, blue, black, brown, red, purple and pink.

It's a photosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that can photosynthesise) that loves red light, nutrients, low oxygen levels and dry fish food. It is common in some tanks and never seen in other tanks. In newly set up aquariums it can be a problem while the tank stabilises.

Reduce the amount of dry food put in the tank.
Make sure there is plenty of water movement.
Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the sand every day for a couple of weeks to physically remove it form the tank.
Have some floating plants in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back