What is this growth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EliK

Reaction score
I was approached by a neighbor regarding his 60 gallon tank. I was aware about his large tank - and he told me that he keeps several others as well, although I have not seen them - but from our conversations, he does not seem to be a particularly knowledgeable fish keeper. I have noticed in the past when I visited him that the tank seems to be constantly dirty, and is frequently overpopulated. He has a very high turnover of fish - which is certainly a bad sign. I can't imagine that he is caring for them properly. I have discussed this with him in the past, but to no avail.

He approached me now because there is some sort of black growth that he keeps finding on the gravel, and can not get rid of. He removes as much as he can by hand every time he changes the water (weekly, though I don't know what percent of the tank), and it grows back to cover the entire tank bottom with in a few days.

I agreed to take a look. Currently, the tank does not seem overpopulated, but it is filthy. Everything is dirty. The growth he asked me about is something I have never seen before. It is black and fluffy, with occasional green bits mixed in, and covers almost the entire bottom, as he said. It sits on the topmost layer of gravel, and can be 'peeled' up in large, slightly sticky sheets, taking only a few pieces of gravel with it.

When I called me I was out, and I stopped off by him on my way home, so I was not able to bring a kit to measure any of the tank parameters.

Here are a few pictures (the gravel is also black, so it is a bit difficult to see):

DSC01967.jpg

It looks like a bad case of Cyanobacteria especially where it is pulled up in the side of the tank picture. It can take on a reddish tinge. If it was me I would move the fish to a new tank and tear down the tank and give it a full clean and disinfection before using it again. Until excess nutrients are removed from the system you will have an issue. To allow the tank to get that amount of growth over the gravel suggests that the tank is not well cared for. Just my opinions.

This is actually not an algae, but a type of bacteria.
It grows in thick slimy sheets, under rocks, over gravel, and can eventually cover everything in the tank.
Sometimes small portions grow between the gravel and the sides of the tank.
It has a "musty" odor.
This stuff can be removed manually, but it may grow back unless conditions are improved.
Excess waste and poor water quality is usually the fault.
There's no fish that will eat this stuff!
manually remove as much from the tank, and trest with Mardel Lab's Maracyn for about 4 days if he will listen to you?

Agree this is cyanobacteria. Caused by high organics in the presence of light. We know the tank is not maintained at all sufficient, and until that is resolved, it will not improve. Removing it and using antibiotics or chemicals (which is not recommended if there are still live fish, though these might finish them off mercifully) will not solve anything, as without better maintenance it will only return. Fish being fed results in organic matter in every aquarium; most of us know how to keep this in balance. This individual has no business in the hobby, given his attitude.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back