What is this green build up?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Was it an easy job to do? I haven't looked to much into it but from a quick glance it seems drain the water by around 60/70% and use a sharp tool to separate the adhesive and then clean up any residue and refill?

There is no Cirax in the filter, just the green, blue and black sponges.

I took the filter out during a water change so the level was low enough not to cause a tidal wave over the edge of the tank. Juwel filters are stuck in with 8 blobs of silicone, 4 on each of two sides, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.
You need a blade that will bend a bit - I sacrificed a kitchen knife. Saw through the blobs at the top of one side, then ease the filter away from the glass and saw through the bottom blobs. Then repeat for the other side. There will be silicone left on the glass, so I used a stanley knife blade to scrape the last bits off. You have to be very careful not to touch the sealant holding the panes of glass together.
If I can do it, anyone can :)

Ok so quick update, so this is day 2. of zero readings.

I won't be able to move ahead with adding any fish once cycled as I need to finish the Ich treatment which has another 10 days.

Ich update - temp has been kept above 28 degrees and mostly 29/30. Just checked the fish and the majority of the white spots have dropped off of them with just a few spots left. Just vacuumed the substrate to hopefully clean out as many cysts as possible.

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Last edited:
I took the filter out during a water change so the level was low enough not to cause a tidal wave over the edge of the tank. Juwel filters are stuck in with 8 blobs of silicone, 4 on each of two sides, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.
You need a blade that will bend a bit - I sacrificed a kitchen knife. Saw through the blobs at the top of one side, then ease the filter away from the glass and saw through the bottom blobs. Then repeat for the other side. There will be silicone left on the glass, so I used a stanley knife blade to scrape the last bits off. You have to be very careful not to touch the sealant holding the panes of glass together.
If I can do it, anyone can :)
Ok perfect, I will give this ago later in the year.

May even do a before, during and after picture series to give everyone a good laugh :)

temp has been kept above 28 degrees and mostly 29/30
To kill ich it must be 30 deg C or slightly over. If it's below 30, it won't kill them. I suggest making sure it is 30 and stays there, then watch the fish for several days for signs of new spots.

Thanks Essjay, I've kept it over 30c since you messaged.

All of the spots seem to have gone now, continuing with the heat and meds.

Current ater readings are:

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 or 20

So I'm 3 days in now with 0 readings, so no water changes or anything until day 7?

Day 4 and still at zero so looking good.

Also no spots and heat and meds continued today, how long do I keep this up for? I started the treatment 8 days ago and the last spot was yesterday.

PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back