What is this fluffy algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jft

Reaction score
Have a few of these fluffy patches on one piece of wood. Scraped it off and grew back really quickly. Tips to get rid of it? Has plants attached. Thanks
PXL_20220501_002915020.jpg

I’ve just had something like this

Could be wrong but I believe it’s a fungus and is treat with products like methylene blue

But could be wrong

It is fungus (no algae is white). It may be safe, or it may be toxic, the only way to tell is through examination by a microbiologist who can identify the species. Of course, if fish begin showing symptoms leading to death, the fungus is most likely toxic. But not all fungus is toxic. I cannot see the wood clearly (and even if I could, I might not know) but the toxic fungus is common on branchy wood often called spiderwood or grapewood. Azalea wood and the related rhododendron wood are highly toxic in themselves.

It is fungus (no algae is white). It may be safe, or it may be toxic, the only way to tell is through examination by a microbiologist who can identify the species. Of course, if fish begin showing symptoms leading to death, the fungus is most likely toxic. But not all fungus is toxic. I cannot see the wood clearly (and even if I could, I might not know) but the toxic fungus is common on branchy wood often called spiderwood or grapewood. Azalea wood and the related rhododendron wood are highly toxic in themselves.
I was under the impression that most "spider" wood sold for aquariums was actually azalea root (?)

According to the below links, azalea root is safe for aquariums; I have "spider" wood in 3 of my tanks, with no adverse affects on my fish, though it will grow a slimy film after it has been submerged for a while; I just scrub it off with a brush and tap water

This azalea poison discussion is by no means settled, and I simply prefer caution when it comes to putting something which without question is topxic into an aquarium. The toxicity may or may not harm the fish (and whatever else), but there are enough warnings about it that I tend to think it wise to forget using it.

All types and all parts of azalea bushes are considered poisonous. They contain toxins called grayanotoxins. Ingesting these toxins can include symptoms which may vary between humans and animals.
from this site:

Most reactions

trending

Back