What is this fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eardz

Reaction score
Hi all.

I bought a group of Aspidoras Raimundi a little while ago. All of them look identical except this one. Is it something else? A Pygmy Cory or hybrid of some kind?

It’s noticeably chunkier and it’s head looks different. None of the others have complete stripes like this either.

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• 980C9F88-AD8B-4C76-8C43-E9A01435B3E2.jpeg
    980C9F88-AD8B-4C76-8C43-E9A01435B3E2.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 52
Possibly a salt and pepper cory, Corydoras habrosus.

Ahhh that looks to be it, thanks very much. It’s in a tank with panda Corydoras and Aspidoras Raimundi. Will it be okay being the only salt and pepper?

No, but yes sort of. Corydoras are shoaling fish, meaning they live in large groups and this expectation is programmed into the species' DNA. Providing a group in the aquarium means they will be better adjusted, and thus less likely to be stressed (insufficient numbers can be seriously stressful) and less stress means less disease opportunities. I am not sure that fish can experience "happiness" as we think of it, but in a large group the fish will assuredly be healthier.

Having said that, the fish in these two genera (Aspidoras and Corydoras) do show an enjoyment of being with others no matter the species [with very few exceptions]. I had a tank of some 12 species of wild caught cories for years and some of the species were represented by only two or three [all the store had, or whatever]. They chummed around together, and I cannot say if they were "happy" or not, but it was the best I could provide them given the circumstances.

No, but yes sort of. Corydoras are shoaling fish, meaning they live in large groups and this expectation is programmed into the species' DNA. Providing a group in the aquarium means they will be better adjusted, and thus less likely to be stressed (insufficient numbers can be seriously stressful) and less stress means less disease opportunities. I am not sure that fish can experience "happiness" as we think of it, but in a large group the fish will assuredly be healthier.

Having said that, the fish in these two genera (Aspidoras and Corydoras) do show an enjoyment of being with others no matter the species [with very few exceptions]. I had a tank of some 12 species of wild caught cories for years and some of the species were represented by only two or three [all the store had, or whatever]. They chummed around together, and I cannot say if they were "happy" or not, but it was the best I could provide them given the circumstances.
Wow, honestly couldn’t have asked for a better answer. Much appreciated. On that note, I think he/she will have to be ‘happy’ with the current stock in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back