What Is This Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ruker84

Reaction score
I bought this fish off line and was supposed to be a peacock goby...can someone tell me what it actually is? Thanks

Attachments

• 2016-01-16 13.25.02-640x480.png
    2016-01-16 13.25.02-640x480.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 303
Honestly not sure, but maybe a wildtype platy?? Aka a normal platy that isn't a color morph.

It looks like a Goodeidea, a few members on here specialize in them.

Nice fish.

To me, it looks more like a wildtype rainbow.
Notice the curve on the forehead, the dorsal fin closer to the tail fin. Just reminds me of rainbow fish crossed with a pearl gourami.

trifasciata_rainbowfish_120406a7_w0640.jpg

I can't tell from the pic, is the tail fin scissor-like? Or is it like a fan? 

If it's scissor-like, I'd say it might be a rainbow, but if the tail is like a fan, then it could be a platy.

Researched the Goodidae fish, it does look like it would be that species. 

Yes, I do have to concur this is a goos chance of being a goodied, ameca splenden, possibly a butterfly splitpin.

But I am certainly no expert at this so this would have to be checked by a knowledeable member who can possibly identify and give some information about this particular specie.

This link I am giving here can be a bit hit or miss when comes to fish information but I do not know of any other reputible sites for this particular genus of fish to be honest, so this is best I can give at this moment in time.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Ameca-splendens.html

I apologise in advance if this and the information given is wrong. I did originally thought it could be a wild female platy but changed mind when looking at various websites!

Definitely looks like a goodied after Google Search. pictures and behavior match pretty well. Tail is fan like to answer your question. Definitely not a peacock goby hah. Thanks for everyone's help!

I asked my girlfriend what she thought it was, she even thought it was a rainbow. Is that in your tank? 

It's a Goodeid
I don't think they are ameca splendens tho mine don't really look like this..
I have a large sized colony in a species only tank and they are amazing and fun to watch. Probably my favorite tank.

Not your average fish tho as they barely have any colors. They do have a very nice shine tho.
They live in groups and will establish a pecking order, so.. They are very nippy. They killed a couple of corydoras I had while they were in a holding tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back