What Is This Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

they're like a light brown with faint black stripes, they looked cute in the shop but have grown loads in only around 4 weeks, hope they are not some kind of oscar.

well, the markings are completely wrong to be uaru. (note the complete absence of the black banding in the profile pictures.) and the coloration and finnage are totally wrong to be an oscar.

did the store not tell you what they were when you bought them? any hint of a common name would be helpful. also, are your lights on when you try taking the picture? try putting as much light on in the room as possible and see if that doesn't help out.

they're like a light brown with faint black stripes, they looked cute in the shop but have grown loads in only around 4 weeks, hope they are not some kind of oscar.

Do they look at all like the fish in the link I posted? That fish kind of fits your description. :)

Though I agree with Pica, a lighter picture would help a lot. :thumbs:

I saw the topic and thought I'd take a look just for fun. I saw there were 20 replies already so I just KNEW you all had already gotten to the bottom of the mystery! :rofl: Ha HA, I have never seen TFF take so long to ID a fish. But to your credit it was a VERY bad pic. :fun:

So what was the final verdict? A Severum?

No offence to anyone, but the comments about them being oscars gave me the giggles, since I own an oscar myself and it's therefore easy for me to see the difference. ^_^

Definitely looks like some kind of sev to me... Heros efasciatus? I dug up an old thread about severum types that has a lot of good pics of species and colour morphs, so take a look and see which one you think they look the most like:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=87051&hl=

Ha ha! I told you I suck at identifying fish! ANd when I saw that, its what it looked like to me! I don't keep oscars, nor have I studied their looks...

Oscars are also thicker, aren't as rounded in shape, and have big ugly heads (like the one on my avatar) :D

I see. But it just looked like one to me. I've only been able to glance at them in the lfs, so do forgive me for my ignorance. lol.

Definately severums, i had a pair that were identical to that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back