What is the difference between m . festivus and m. mirificus ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
A store is offering tank raised festivus and wild mirificus and i'm curious if there is much difference between the two species. Also how many should be kept together. I was thinking 8 in my 120 (moving them to a 400 in a year) but not sure if they are like angels where they shoal as youngsters and then declare holy war upon maturity or if they continue to shoal once they mature.

I would imagine that the tank bred Festivus would just be farmed fish that are in a catch all name - possibly still true Festivus. The division of the species has happened in the last 10ish years I think and with them not being a super popular species not many wholesalers and stores have adopted them.

The wild Mirificus sound interesting though! I had 2 Egregus (I think thats the name) and they were properly aggressive going after all the fish in the tank so I didnt keep them for long.

From what I've read on Festivus they are meant to be peaceful and gregarious but kind of disregarded that after my experience haha!

Real festivus are rare in the hobby, and for a long time, anything that looked like a flag Cichlid from anywhere was sold under the name. Chances are, your store fish are M guyanae, insignis or mirificus. So you could be looking at farmed and wild versions of the same species.
The stores buy them from lists and don't do the DNA analysis! They trust the seller and if the seller doesn't know or care, so be it.

I've kept insignis and egregius, wild caught ones (you know the species by where they were caught - in which species range). The fish books my grandfather had talked of them behaving like angelfish, and I wanted to see that. I never did. They grew into heavy bodied, squabbling brutes, like obese angels having a permanent bad day.

I didn't like 'em, as you can tell. Both times I passed them on to friends who insisted they were peaceful and I was doing something wrong. They later sold them in the club auction to free up their tanks. But if I had a large tank with heavy planting and wanted to keep them again, I would buy the wild fish. They are healthier than farmed ones, hardier and less likely to have problem parasites.

Real festivus are rare in the hobby, and for a long time, anything that looked like a flag Cichlid from anywhere was sold under the name. Chances are, your store fish are M guyanae, insignis or mirificus. So you could be looking at farmed and wild versions of the same species.
The stores buy them from lists and don't do the DNA analysis! They trust the seller and if the seller doesn't know or care, so be it.

I've kept insignis and egregius, wild caught ones (you know the species by where they were caught - in which species range). The fish books my grandfather had talked of them behaving like angelfish, and I wanted to see that. I never did. They grew into heavy bodied, squabbling brutes, like obese angels having a permanent bad day.

I didn't like 'em, as you can tell. Both times I passed them on to friends who insisted they were peaceful and I was doing something wrong. They later sold them in the club auction to free up their tanks. But if I had a large tank with heavy planting and wanted to keep them again, I would buy the wild fish. They are healthier than farmed ones, hardier and less likely to have problem parasites.
I would imagine that the tank bred Festivus would just be farmed fish that are in a catch all name - possibly still true Festivus. The division of the species has happened in the last 10ish years I think and with them not being a super popular species not many wholesalers and stores have adopted them.

The wild Mirificus sound interesting though! I had 2 Egregus (I think thats the name) and they were properly aggressive going after all the fish in the tank so I didnt keep them for long.

From what I've read on Festivus they are meant to be peaceful and gregarious but kind of disregarded that after my experience haha!
Yea. I think that is why i am asking; if they are like angles they are not going to be very peaceful once adults. seriouslyfish and other sources describe them as peaceful and pairs will break away and then rejoin the shoal; but my experience with angles - at least in a 4 foot tank - is anything more than a pair - or all same sex - and you will have nothing but constant wars.

Not sure how many i should buy for the 120 - i was thinking 6 to 8 - in about 11 months when they hit maturity i would be able to move them to a 400 gallon tank (10 ft x 3 ft); but not sure if i am better off with 2, 4, 6 or 8; or maybe 5 or 7. The (on line) ref suggest a min of 6 I suspect these guys are going to be like angels constantly fighting once they grow up.
=
purchase size is around 1.5 to 2 inches - so it will take a while for them to mature.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back