What is the best test kit to use

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vtw

Reaction score
Hi I've been using tetra 6 in 1 test strips to check my water but have noticed that I get different results if I retest a few minutes later to double check result any advice very welcome as I'm new to fish keeping

I use the API liquid testers. You can buy a master kit which contains pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. There are actually 2 ph testers in the set, one for pH up to 7.6 and one for pH above 7.4. You only need one of them, depending on your pH.

Tip - all liquid nitrate testers have a bottle which must be shaken. With the API tester it is bottle #2. The shaking in the instructions is important because one of the reagent settles on the bottom of the bottle and the shaking is to mix it into the liquid. You can shake the bottle even more than the instructions say, but shake the test tube only for the time stated.

Thank you I will pick one up this week hopefully it will be more accurate then the test strips , do you need to check against a colour card or does api have an app to check results

I use the colour charts included with the testers. There may be an app but as my phone can only make calls and send texts, I have never bothered to look.

Once again thank you have just been looking at the kit and ordered one from pond planet

Once my tank is stable, all I do is occasionally test for nitrates. For nitrate test, I use seachem nitrate test...it's a lot easier to use and to read the results than the API nitrate test. API is good for PH, Ammonia, and nitrite tests but their nitrate test is a pain to use and hard to read.

Last edited:
Once my tank is stable, I only occasionally test for nitrates. For nitrate test, I use seachem nitrate test...it's a lot easier to use and to read the results than the API nitrate test. API is good for PH, Ammonia, and nitrite tests but their nitrate test is a pain to use and hard to read.
thank you for the advice I've just ordered the api kit so I will keep in mind a separate test for nitrates if I have any problems reading the results

Last edited by a moderator:
The API nitrate test is fine where nitrate is low. It's at higher nitrate that there is little colour difference between the levels.

As said above, I use the API master test kit. The strips are highly inaccurate and hard to read. The master test kit is a much better option. You will get the following in your kit if you buy this...
image.jpg

(Nitrite bottle, nitrate bottle #1, Nitrate bottle #2, high range ph, ph, Ammonia bottle #1, Ammonia bottle #2, 4 - 5ml Glass test tubes, instruction book, and box.)
It’s a really good deal, I got mine for just around $30 on Amazon.com.

Here is a picture of test chart...
image.jpg

Thank you I've ordered the api kit so I will see how I get along with it once again thank you for the advice

Make sure you follow the instruction for the nitrate tester. They tell you to shake bottle #2, add the drops to the tube, then shake the tube before starting the timer. We always recommended tapping the bottle on the worktop, then shaking it even longer than the instructions say. But do the length of shake they say for shaking the tube. This is because one of the reagents settles on the bottom of the bottle and the shaking is to mix it back in. Failure to shake leads to inaccurate results :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back