What Is The Best Substrate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fillet 'O' Fish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I think I am going to strip down my gravel substrate and go with a proper aquatic sub-soil. :crazy:

Becauase my tank is set up and running nicely, I dont reallly want to disturb it, but I think it will help with my plant growing long term. (I already have co2 injection)

Because my tank is a 100 gallon I will be only wanting the expense of changing the substrate once, and want to get it right. :nod:

What is the best substrate? It seems from reading posts there is 2 leaders :
ECO-complete or ADA Aquasoil

Or is there another? :look:

Which is really best? :huh:

Well nothing will, since that`s subjective.
Its like saying which is better, a house or a flat, both offer roughly the same thing but with slight variations to suit different situations.

A bit like saying, which is better? Man United or Man City?

;)

The best you can do is read as much as you can about both, and make an informed decision. Like i say, i choses ADA AS, but i am sure others will choose eco-complete.

Chris

Think ADA is generally considered the best. However it is known to reduce the KH of the tank dramatically which affects pH, and so I would generally say is more for the experience planted tank keeper. Would be a shame to spend lots of money on it only to find you wanted to change it again in a month or so.

That said EC increases KH and also GH! generally to around 6-8dKH, but thats not so much of a problem, unless you've got sensitive fish like discus.

But think these two are very good. There is also red sea plant base (think its called plant base) which I am told Amano himself used before inventing the ADA stuff and that's supposed to be very good but not sure if it changes the KH as never used it.

Sam

Sam is referring to Red Sea's Flora Base-a very similar soil to Aquasoil, but to be honest, no less expensive if you look around. I use Aquasoil at the moment and it is the best thing I've used. I'm a big fan of nutrient rich substrates-I've a journal on AE forum at the moment-you can see my success with it for yourself. I've also used Dennerle's Depoint and Flourite amongst others, but ADA is the best I've used.

Nick

Nick, would you even advise the use of AS to a less experienced hobbyist, or at least someone with less understanding? Just due to the KH, pH issues for a start! Or do you think the effects are over exemplified and are minimal in terms of negative outcomes?

No reason, just interested in your view.

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back