What is the best RO filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So with Multiple Tank Syndrome affecting all members of my family (it's highly contagious) we are considering an RO filter for under the kitchen sink to make water changes easier and have the best(?) possible water for our fishie friends. Those of you who have your own RO filter - any recommendations for brand or types and where you purchased?

Anyone else want to talk me out of getting an RO filter? Is it unnecessary and total overkill?

Thanks!

I've been happy with the RO Buddy. It's made a big difference for me because my tap water was terrible and was killing my fish. RO Buddy solved my problem. Pretty simple and not too expensive. My only complaint is that it's slow and seems to waste a lot of water, but maybe that's normal.

They all do the same thing. As @hansgruber7 says they can be slow and waste water. Go for as high a GPD (gallons per day) as you can justify. In the UK they now sell "direct flow" RO systems which do not need you to store the water in an intermediate tank, but these do cost more. to give you an idea my 100GPD system takes around 40 minutes to produce 10 litres of RO water. a 50 GPD system would take 80 minutes and a 400GPD system would only take 10.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting too use RO? For many people it is unnecessary.

I currently treat tap with Seachem Prime, and store the result it in gallon bottles. My current tank dream is a long hose attached to an RO unit. A fast producing RO wouldn't simply be better for our fish, it would be great for the rest of the family as well. So i wouldn't be the person to talk you out of a RO. Which is best? I don't know right now, but there use to be a link around here for such HW that was very good in terms of sheer variety. I'm seen them as cheap as $60 and SOTA units for $700.

I'd very much like to see current owners talk about their experiences with RO.

What fish do you keep?
What is your water hardness (GH and KH - we need numbers and the unit)
What is the nitrate level in your tap water?

I use RO water because I keep soft water fish and my tap water is very hard. My tap water also contains nitrates at 50ppm (the legal limit but too high for fish). The RO process strips all of the minerals out of the water and many fish (and plants) need those minerals so you may have to put them back. This can be a hassle and expensive. I would not use RO water if I did not have to.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting too use RO? For many people it is unnecessary.

I'm sure there are few a reasons for RO, but mine would be the fact that we're on the end of a 35-mile long delivery system for Lake Michigan water. There was even a twarted plan to toss poison into an intake crib. Moreover, we had a break in a local delivery pipe that exposed our water to the material around the pipe. Lake Michigan water isn't inherently bad since I've used it for decades. However, a bit of paranoia and added convenience is never a bad thing.

They all do the same thing. As @hansgruber7 says they can be slow and waste water. Go for as high a GPD (gallons per day) as you can justify. In the UK they now sell "direct flow" RO systems which do not need you to store the water in an intermediate tank, but these do cost more. to give you an idea my 100GPD system takes around 40 minutes to produce 10 litres of RO water. a 50 GPD system would take 80 minutes and a 400GPD system would only take 10.

Seangee - I was interested as I just want the best possible water for my fish. I have a filter on my refrigerator that removes chlorine but it takes forever to fill up this way. I do have water conditioner so I suppose I could fill up from the tap and add the conditioner with each water change. I'm sure lots of people have successful aquariums without the RO water but... hey... one more thing to shop for - right???

Seangee - I was interested as I just want the best possible water for my fish. I have a filter on my refrigerator that removes chlorine but it takes forever to fill up this way. I do have water conditioner so I suppose I could fill up from the tap and add the conditioner with each water change. I'm sure lots of people have successful aquariums without the RO water but... hey... one more thing to shop for - right???
Well its not quite that simple. Pure water is not always the best solution. If you respond to the questions in post #5 someone can advise the best approach.
Different fish have different requirements. RO works for me because of what I keep, but guppies (as one example) would probably not survive a week in my tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back