What is suitable for a small 18-20litre tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Geemance

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have always wanted to keep tropical fish and thought I would start small. I am looking into getting an 18/20 litre tank and Iā€™m looking for advice as to wether this will be large enough to keep 3 guppies.
I have researched online but different sources have different answers. I would also love to own some neon tetras but I have doubts as to wether the tank would be big enough for a small group of these as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi all,

I have always wanted to keep tropical fish and thought I would start small. I am looking into getting an 18/20 litre tank and Iā€™m looking for advice as to wether this will be large enough to keep 3 guppies.
I have researched online but different sources have different answers. I would also love to own some neon tetras but I have doubts as to wether the tank would be big enough for a small group of these as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi ! Dont think it would be big enough for neons . But I'm no expert .Starting small is ok I suppose but if u get addicted like most do it wont be long until you want bigger and more space .my first one was a 54litre and after a couple of months later I moved to 105 litre . Now I'd like bigger again :D.. but then maybe it is good to go through the learning process of upgrading

I have a 55l cube and it's too small for neons and guppies.
A small tank not only limits the number of fish you can have but also the types, faster fish need more swimming room and larger fish need more room in general.
The seriously fish site say guppies need a minimum tank size of 45cm by 30cm by 30cm (Which is 41l) and is a good tool for researching what the fish you want need and whether you can provide it.

I have a 55l cube and it's too small for neons and guppies.
A small tank not only limits the number of fish you can have but also the types, faster fish need more swimming room and larger fish need more room in general.
The seriously fish site say guppies need a minimum tank size of 45cm by 30cm by 30cm (Which is 41l) and is a good tool for researching what the fish you want need and whether you can provide it.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, the main reason for a small tank is that I live in a small flat so space is limited unfortunately.
Thank you I will look on the site you have suggested to see if I will be able to provide everything needed, Iā€™m very conscious not to overcrowd the tank or put them in a group of too few which could distress the fish so an alternative is to get a different type other than guppies, I have just read a lot that says they are a good fish for first time owners!

Hi ! Dont think it would be big enough for neons . But I'm no expert .Starting small is ok I suppose but if u get addicted like most do it wont be long until you want bigger and more space .my first one was a 54litre and after a couple of months later I moved to 105 litre . Now I'd like bigger again :D.. but then maybe it is good to go through the learning process of upgrading

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I would get a bigger tank but the issue is more the space to put it as I live in a small flat! I would love to have a larger tank with more fish one day!!

Endlers may repeat MAY be your answer depending on water parameters, though even those need a bigger tank.

Definitely not big enough for neon tetras, these are very active fish, and require a lot of swimming room.

A single betta is the only thing I can think of for a 5.2g tank. (20L)

I have had many bettas over the years but I don't live in London - I live in soft water northern England :)

While reading about a certain election, my son looked up populations. Did you know that the US has only around 5 times the population of the UK (66 million), but spread over a much bigger area. London alone has a population of 8.7 million.

@essjay is about 250 miles from London.
We know weā€™re a small country but we donā€™t all live in the same street! ;)
Lol. :rofl:

I guess I can thank Disney for my view of what London streets look like... :rolleyes:

I have discovered bookshelf tanks and found them amazing! They do not have much height and depth, but make up for it in swimming width. My 3 gallon works great for my pea puffer, with twice a week water changes and good filtration. There are different sizes of bookshelf tanks, so that may be an option to consider.
:fish:
... and I still kept the books!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back