What Is Normal Shrimp Behaviour?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sahira

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering what normal shrimp behaviour is? Because recently my red shrimp is comming of of his/her hiding place and swimming around alot, before i hardly used to see the shrimp but now its swimming around alot.. Is this normal?

Also i found this morning one of my leopard danios dead and stuck in the filter.. And one of my live plants was uprooted.. And i am think could of during the night the plant of broken off hit my danio into the filter? Because that plant was next to the filter were i found the danio.. Its mouth was injured also..

And finally i put new water into bucket at are 12 o clock put the de-chlo in aswell.. Can i remove some and add new water in say an hour.. (bcause i heard if a fish dies you should do 10-15 % Water change..)

Thanks.

Shrimps do swim around of they feel safe and happy, so it doesn't sound like there's a problem there.

All dead fish and floating plants will get stuck to the filter; that's just the filter doing it's job. The danio would have been sick or dead; healthy fish (apart from fry) don't get sucked into filters.

You don't need to leave new water to stand id you're using a dechlorinator; that works instantly. I'd do a larger water change than 10 or 15%; more like 50 or 60%. Just make sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated :good:

As you've had a dead fish, it sould be a good idea to get your water tested to make sure there's nothing going on there. How long has the tank beed set up and was it cycled?

Shrimp generally are constantly active, browsing for food - the only time they will usually hide is when they have just shed their skin, and are waiting for the new one to harden.

A healthy fish would have no problem swimming away from the filter intake, and likewise a healthy, well-rooted plant will not be uprooted by the flow of water into the filter. I wouldn't have thought a fish swimming into a plant would injure its mouth, or make it become stuck on the filter. What else is in the tank? Something cause the plant to be uprooted, and something caused an injury to the Danio. What did the injury look like?

Dechlorinator works instantly, there is no need to let it stand for 24hours - where this comes from is from before we had dechlorinators, and you had to stand the water for 24 hours to allow to chlorine to gas off from the water. Therefore, you can use it now, yes.

Shrimps do swim around of they feel safe and happy, so it doesn't sound like there's a problem there.

All dead fish and floating plants will get stuck to the filter; that's just the filter doing it's job. The danio would have been sick or dead; healthy fish (apart from fry) don't get sucked into filters.

You don't need to leave new water to stand id you're using a dechlorinator; that works instantly. I'd do a larger water change than 10 or 15%; more like 50 or 60%. Just make sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated :good:

As you've had a dead fish, it sould be a good idea to get your water tested to make sure there's nothing going on there. How long has the tank beed set up and was it cycled?

I am glad the shrimps behaviour is normal..

Whats werid is that the danio was completey fine yesterday.. Swimming around normal.. I tested the water and all the levels look normal, ni- 0 na- 0 am- 0 .. So i am not sure why it died..
i did a water change (10 litres (as thats hw big my bucket is) and my tanks 125 litres) i'l will do another change tomorrow aswel.

Tank has been running for 1 month but its an upgrade tank so i added the old filter from the previous tank... I have 3 filters on my tank aswell so it keeps the water in pretty good condition...

Shrimp generally are constantly active, browsing for food - the only time they will usually hide is when they have just shed their skin, and are waiting for the new one to harden.

A healthy fish would have no problem swimming away from the filter intake, and likewise a healthy, well-rooted plant will not be uprooted by the flow of water into the filter. I wouldn't have thought a fish swimming into a plant would injure its mouth, or make it become stuck on the filter. What else is in the tank? Something cause the plant to be uprooted, and something caused an injury to the Danio. What did the injury look like?

Dechlorinator works instantly, there is no need to let it stand for 24hours - where this comes from is from before we had dechlorinators, and you had to stand the water for 24 hours to allow to chlorine to gas off from the water. Therefore, you can use it now, yes.

i am glad that the shrimps behaviour is normal..

i didnt not that you can add the water straight away once the de-chol is added - now i know!

right what's werid is that the danio was completey fine yesterday, swimming around normally..
The plant grow long so i cut of off and placed it in a different area in the gravel it didnt have anything heavy holding it down so i think thatts why it must of come out.. I've placed it in properly nw with the plant nw.
The injury looked like the bottom mouth was cut..
Other fish include - 6 danios, 1 young fantail, 3 white cloud minnows.. And 3 shrimp.. I dont think it was any of them..
So i am not sure..
I did a water change (10 litres thats hw big my bucket is) tank is 125 litres, will do another change 2mrw..

Tested the water levels are normal ni 0 nia 0 am 0.. I have 3 filters so it keeps the water in good condition..

Also, it is normal for male shrimp to swim frantically around the tank searching for the female after she releases breeding pheromones.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back