What is my water hardness?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to eliminate water hardness problems that cause my mollies to have the shimmies..
I have attached water parameters from my local water provider below.
Could someone list what is the pH, KH, GH of my tap and if the overall hardness (which I think is 253ppm) fine for mollies?

2C068835-BF97-4A01-B425-106A2313B97B.png

You should invest in an aquarium test kit from Api, brought it from Amazon. It will tell you all you need. I used to use the test strips but found them not as accurate.

not sure on the readings.

If i’m correct mg/l is the same as PPM so if that is true you have extremely hard water.

Testing GH is not necessary going forward, unless you intend to adjust the parameters (which you don't need to, will explain below). But a good basic kit is one that tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Going forward, nitrate and pH are good tests to do periodically, and ammonia and nitrite are usually advisable if there is some problem with the fish, as these numbers can tell us something or be OK.

Your water is fairly hard. The GH is given as 15 dG, and 253 mg/l. The mg/l is the same as ppm (parts per million). The hobby uses ppm and dG (or sometimes dGH) and these numbers are equivalent here. So this is fairly hard water and good for livebearers including mollies. I don't knnow the pH, but with this GH I would expect it to be above 7 which is basic, and good for livebearers.

Shimmies should not be occurring as a result of the GH and pH.

Most reactions

trending

Back