what is in my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i have a 10 gallon planted tank and i just started noticing little dots moving around all throughout the gravel. Im almost positive they´re not bubbles but I don´t know. They are also not fish eggs as i have livebearing fish (two mollies, two platies). The only other thing I have in the tank right now is one nerite snail. Maybe they were on the plants when I put them in, but I rinsed them off pretty well. Can someone help tell me what these little dots are?

We would need a picture.
I tried to get a picture. I have a terrible camera and you cannot see them at all. They look like little brown dots. They´re really small. They are like the size of ich dots.

We really need pictures... “small dots”, are not descriptive enough for an ID.

Reactions: kwi
Indeed, near impossible to say for sure without more information and ideally some good close up pictures.

Could be anything from sounds of it, Copepods, snails, mites or even algae, like diatoms which can appear to move due to current of water.

All those are just pure guesses at this moment in time am afraid :/

Yeah I was thinking baby snails because they do kind Of look like it but how do you get baby snails with only one snail?

Very easily as it happens, snails that live in freshwater are often hermaphrodites, means they can carry both eggs and sperm so therefore can reproduce without the aid of any other snails around.

They lay clear sacs of eggs on just about any surface inside the aquarium and looks like this, the small inverted ‘C’ shaped clear eggs in middle of pic.

C41D28FA-FE97-4B19-A305-FFB2D38B9DB7.jpeg

This applies for a lots of freshwater snails but nerite snails require brackish waters, they can lay eggs but won’t hatch in freshwater.

Mystery / Apple snails need both male and female in prefer to reproduce.

Are they more hard brown or more squishy brown? (Could be planaria) Any of them swimming up into the water, or strictly in the substrate?

Try pressing one with your finger. If it crushes it's a snail. Often when you buy live plants that have been submerged there is a high chance of there being baby snails on them. It happens a lot!
Thankfully I keep Golden Guaramis. They eat em.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back