What is he?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Ive been told multiple things when ive asked, finally think i know, just for someone to come back in and say the original thing.

So ive been told hes a wild type dwarf gourami.

Ive also been told he is a hybrid (particularly with labiosa).

This is important for me to know as i had intended on breeding DG, but if hes not pure DG i will not continue that plan (i dont have a problem with hybrids, but it would limit my selling field).

He is small, only 2 inches. Ive had him a year.

First photo is taken with my good camera with flash.
Others with my phone.
received_203225637768606.jpeg
20200218_101658.jpg
20200131_153126.jpg
20191228_062426.jpg

:fish:To me he looks like a very pale dwarf gourami

:fish:To me he looks like a very pale dwarf gourami
I agree with Juicebox, it’s a dwarf gourami, it looks stress.
This is his normal colouration, ever since we got him as a baby. He goes paler at night (normal with fish) and when stressed he develops a dark lateral line.

To me, the body looks to long for a dwarf gourami. The body shape is more like a thick lipped gourami but 2 inches after a year is too small for a labiosa.

I would be inclined to regard him as a hybrid and not use him for breeding. Even if he does turn out to be 100% dwarf, he doesn't look like it so I wouldn't take the risk.

To me, the body looks to long for a dwarf gourami. The body shape is more like a thick lipped gourami but 2 inches after a year is too small for a labiosa.

I would be inclined to regard him as a hybrid and not use him for breeding. Even if he does turn out to be 100% dwarf, he doesn't look like it so I wouldn't take the risk.
Yeah i wont chance it if hes a hybrid.

Ah well. At least he gets along with the female dwarf we have. We just introduced them together and theyre doing good, follow each other around. Which is good because the male in the photos, hes a butthead with tankmates. Very moody little guy.
20200401_184423.jpg

This photo was from when we had all our cories in one tank, theyve since been moved around, but you get an idea of his size.
20200105_075507.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back