What is happening to my fry!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Really? A whole jar in one day? I dont constantly feed it. I use a 10ml syringe to feed things like that 3-4× a day... But I dont know if I would use green water more or whatever.

I just proved they were not starving. Yesterday when I woke up there were three. The light was off for ABOUT an hour at night before I remembered to put it on low for the night to see if any die. When I turned it on, only two fry were left. Well it is morning, the light is still on and I still have those two fry. It can't be their starving. It must be something to do with the light or a creature that lurks in the dark...
I think if you are only putting 10ml of food into a 100-liter tank to feed fifty fish then you will find that the fry are starving. You are expecting each fry to find 0.2ml of food in one hundred liters of water, which is a big ask.

I think if you are only putting 10ml of food into a 100-liter tank to feed fifty fish then you will find that the fry are starving. You are expecting each fry to find 0.2ml of food in one hundred liters of water, which is a big ask.
Well all of them schooled together kinda so I put 10ml of it right where they were and it clouds up. All the fry go into the cloud and eat... None of them starved, they all had nice plump bellies

How old are the fry?
If they are more than 2 weeks old, they aren't starving.

Are you feeding the adults well?
Make sure the adults are fed 3-5 times a day and last thing at night so they don't eat the babies.

Most fish sold in shops are related. Chances are your gudgeons are related and most peacock gudgeons in your country will be related because only a few were taken from the wild.

If you want to breed gudgeons, have even numbers of males and females, or more males. The males look after the eggs and the females will swim off and breed with other males.

How old are the fry?
If they are more than 2 weeks old, they aren't starving.

Are you feeding the adults well?
Make sure the adults are fed 3-5 times a day and last thing at night so they don't eat the babies.

Most fish sold in shops are related. Chances are your gudgeons are related and most peacock gudgeons in your country will be related because only a few were taken from the wild.

If you want to breed gudgeons, have even numbers of males and females, or more males. The males look after the eggs and the females will swim off and breed with other males.
I have to have a ratio of 1 male to every 2 females... The males will MURDER eachother... People say they get along well and just chase/flare if anything but I've seen some very bad aggression towards their own kind. If I did do more than one male, I would need a larger tank. There is a chance I could do more females in my tank but not more males. Too risky. If I get a bigger tank I will though.

And yes the fry have to be at least a week and a half. So around two weeks is a good estimate.

I have to have a ratio of 1 male to every 2 females... The males will MURDER eachother... People say they get along well and just chase/flare if anything but I've seen some very bad aggression towards their own kind. If I did do more than one male, I would need a larger tank. There is a chance I could do more females in my tank but not more males. Too risky. If I get a bigger tank I will though.

And yes the fry have to be at least a week and a half. So around two weeks is a good estimate.
May 5th was your first post and last Friday was when you posted the school of baby's photo. I make that a week or 6 days.

May 5th was your first post and last Friday was when you posted the school of baby's photo. I make that a week or 6 days.
Man... It feels longer.

The light went off for an hour or two and I then turned it on low for the night and only saw ONE fry left! My goodness... It has to be something with the light. OR... Maybe the food I'm feeding was slowly poisoning them? I mean... I'm just trying to find some closure to what happened. Next batch of fry, I use egg yolk to feed.

Is there still no sign of the bodies?

Is there still no sign of the bodies?
Nope. They vanished... Has to be aliens. Like a damselfly nymph. They are very vlose to an alien

Actually, didn't you have a damselfly nymph? Where there's one.....:eek:!
Yes. When I was cycling the tank which was over 3 months ago. I had one that came with plants and then a second one made it to adult life and I got it out of my tank. I havent seen any since. I also did a large redo on my aquarium where I took everything out to restyled it and use different rocks. Surely I would have seen the little bugger then

Egg yolk is more likely to pollute than be useful. I would suggest golden pearls (the smallest), krill fines, green water, liquifry, etc.

A fry isn't a fry. I can feed many species easily, but I pay attention to the ones with the smallest young. Rainbows have taught me a lot about fry size, while with other groups, Genera etc, feeding fry is no challenge at all. What I feed a freshly hatched Aphyosemion is what a 2-3 week old Iriatherina or some Melanotaenia gets.

The main ingredient of Liquifry is egg

I used to have this problem. I had like, 40 guppy fry and then within a few days there were 3 .My guppy fry used to Bury themselves in rocks or under the gravel and die there. It wasn't a nice experience doing a water change and having dead fry floating in the bucket. Do you have gravel in the fry tank? If you do, then maybe while doing a water change you could look out for the bodies.

The main ingredient of Liquifry is egg
That's interesting. I haven't seen liquifry for sale here for a solid 20 years, and only suggested it because it used to be a thing. People still mention it so I figure it's in different markets. I stopped using it before it vanished. I'll strike that off the list for future posts.

It's unfortunate fish breeding is no longer popular, because it makes getting food for tiny fry hard. I found my krill fines, and the tiniest golden pearls at an online site, and they have lasted a long time. No doubt. they've passed their best before date by a couple of years, but they still do the job. I'm raising a bunch of Melanotaenia boesemani and Glossolepis wanamensis rainbow fry on those two right now. I got my coral food, which is just ground up orange krill as a door prize at an auction, but I see it in marine stores. It's my second food for the really small fry. I get them on to live artemia nauplii as soon as they can eat them.

I feed the powdered food by scooping tiny amounts into the point of a sharp knife, several times a day. In those quantities, they last forever.

With killies and Cichlids, I can start with artemia nauplii, though I will add the coral food when I'm in a hurry and can't run the baby brine shrimp.

Life would be easier if we could get fry food in stores, off the shelf, as we could when the 2 types of liquify were around. If the better options were there, we wouldn't be squeezing chicken egg through a sock like my fishkeeping grandfather had to in the 1940s.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back