What is happening to my betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jesus Marron

Reaction score
Hey, I just got a new betta. I was paying attention to it and saw that one of its gils we’re sticking out. It’s fins are also looking like it might have rot. What do you think it is and how do I treat it

Attachments

• 41FD4FCA-1898-4D25-A077-907880416733.jpeg
    41FD4FCA-1898-4D25-A077-907880416733.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 160
  • D3524265-94B8-4836-AC80-16BC960E5DDB.jpeg
    D3524265-94B8-4836-AC80-16BC960E5DDB.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 163
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like part of the gill cover has broken and is now bent out of shape.
There isn't much you can do about it if that is the case.

------------------------
Fin rot is caused by a dirty environment that encourages bad bacteria to attack the fish.
The easiest way to treat fin rot is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like part of the gill cover has broken and is now bent out of shape.
There isn't much you can do about it if that is the case.

------------------------
Fin rot is caused by a dirty environment that encourages bad bacteria to attack the fish.
The easiest way to treat fin rot is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Yea I just got him today I used a dechlorinator. Should I return him
To the store or keep him or give it a couple days. How will the fin affect him. And should I try general cure just to be on the safe side with Gill flukes?

It's unlikely he has gill flukes and he does not need any medication.

-------------------------
As to whether you keep him or return him, that is up to you. I would contact the shop and let them know he appears to have a bent or damage gill cover. Tell them you will hang on to him overnight and if it's no better tomorrow, then you will bring him back then and swap him over.

If the fish is better tomorrow then keep him.

It's unlikely he has gill flukes and he does not need any medication.

-------------------------
As to whether you keep him or return him, that is up to you. I would contact the shop and let them know he appears to have a bent or damage gill cover. Tell them you will hang on to him overnight and if it's no better tomorrow, then you will bring him back then and swap him over.

If the fish is better tomorrow then keep him.
I decided on keeping him till I can. I cleaned out his water and started putting aquarium salt to the amount said on the box. I am seeing he’s being more active as I moved him to a larger tank. What else should I be doing. And when should I see improvement and what should I be looking for?

If it's a broken gill cover there won't be any improvement, it will always be like that. If it's swelling or bruising, it should improve after a few days.

Don't use salt for more than 2 weeks because it can harm the fish if used for long periods of time.

Just do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Feed him well with a varied diet and let him recover.

If it's a broken gill cover there won't be any improvement, it will always be like that. If it's swelling or bruising, it should improve after a few days.

Don't use salt for more than 2 weeks because it can harm the fish if used for long periods of time.

Just do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Feed him well with a varied diet and let him recover.
What would the broken gill cover restrain him from? What will be harder for him to do?

The gill cover sticking out will create drag as he swims through the water and that will make it a bit harder for him to move around.

He won't be able to breath as easily with his gills because his gill cover won't be completely covering the gills, so when he opens his gills to let water flow over them, not as much water will flow over the side that is damaged. However, he is a Labyrinth fish and can breath air from the atmosphere too.

I have a goldfish with a curled gill cover due to poor genetics. She is over 2 years old now and doing fine. It gets her off balance a lot and sometimes flips backwards when eating off the bottom. Makes her look like she is doing summersaults. I call her my little acrobat. I never allowed her to breed because of the genetic defect but she is a happy pet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back