What is going on here???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sandrak

Reaction score
I have a community tank with plates, mollies, a clown loach and angelfish. I did a water change last night and all seemed fine. Tonight the fish are all congregating in the corners of the tank. I mean literally laying on top of each other. Any ideas???

Attachments

• 556E6044-9F72-4FCE-A6E5-582DF89032BE.jpeg
    556E6044-9F72-4FCE-A6E5-582DF89032BE.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 69
Test the water parameters and conditions then report the results here.

Check that you plugged the heater back in. Make sure the water is oxygenated (filter on).
Do another water change of 75% to help remove any toxins. Ensure you dechlorinate the new water and match the temperature to that of the tank.

Thanks for the replies. I did test the water yesterday evening. PH - 6.0, Ammonia - 2.0, Nitrate - seems off the chart to me - red not orange looking, nitrite - 0 The aquarium is a 55 gallon with natural pebble rock, a couple of pieces of wood, artificial plants and some hiding type of rock formations.
We did an additional water change last night. Fish seem better today but the ammonia level is still too high. The water is still cloudy. When I did the water change day before yesterday, I put a new piece of filter pad on one side of the filter. Left the other piece but did rinse it in the removal water from the tank. I put new cut charcoal pads in last night. I rinsed them before placing in the filter system. Yes, I did dechlorinate the water in both changes and have a thermometer that I always check the water temp as I am refilling tank. I have not added any new decorations, etc. Should I do another water change, maybe 50% this time?? What is your opinion of ammo-lock?? My angel fish and mollies seem to be fine. It is the platys that seem to be most affected. I have two bubble panels in the tank so I know it is oxygenated. I run a Top Fin double compartment filter plus a small ultra violet? filter that was recommended by the fish store I frequent in Peachtree City. I also have nitrite pads in the filtration as I was having problems with that months ago. I feed once a day - brine shrimp and bloodworms. I also add Top Fin algae tabs for the pleco once or twice a week and Aqueon tabs for bottom feeders for the loach. I hope this gives better info on the tank.
My angels have laid eggs twice but I don't think the male has gotten the knack of fertilization yet. We have had numerous platys spawn and actually have raised about 7 or 8 that did not get eaten by the others.
My loach jumped out of the water last night. Found him on the carpet in front of the tank. He had been out for a while but I put him back in the tank. He seems fine today.
It has been years since I had a tank set up. This one has been set up for 8 - 10 months. Never had this kind of an issue before. Any help is greatly appreciated. I love my aquarium and fish. Hoping to be able to save them.

So the problem is the cycle. You need to test daily and do a 75% water change anytime that the ammonia or nitrite is above zero.
A tank that has been running for 8 months should be fully cycled so we have to work out what has gone wrong to prevent recurrence. You are using old tank water to clean the filter which is good. Tell us more about changing the filter pads, it may be that leaving them in until they fall apart is safer. Have you changed your substrate or done an overdue cleaning of the substrate?
personally I don't use ammolock etc. but it seems appropriate short-term for a cycling problem. Just remember that it only bonds the ammonia for 24 hours, after which it is released into the water again. So you still need to do the testing and water changes to keep the ammonia in check.

put the video on youtube and post a link here.

That's a highly toxic amount of ammonia for fish...what kind of test kit are you using?
What kind of water conditioner?

Yes, I realize the ammonia level is way too high and toxic. I am using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit & API Tap Water Conditioner.

Naughts - I don't know how to post it from my phone to Youtube. :( Also, nitrites are 0. It is the nitrates that are off the chart.

The filter padding was literally limp and falling apart. My boyfriend seems to think I should be changing all the filtration medium more often but I have been trying to follow the advice of the fish store employees, not talking PetSmart but a dedicated fish store; mostly saltwater but they do have freshwater also; I have talked to and videos that I have watched on the internet.

The filter padding was literally limp and falling apart. My boyfriend seems to think I should be changing all the filtration medium more often but I have been trying to follow the advice of the fish store employees, not talking PetSmart but a dedicated fish store; mostly saltwater but they do have freshwater also; I have talked to and videos that I have watched on the internet.
Get some ceramic biomedia, lasts much longer than pads...DO NOT change the filter media in a cycling tank...just add the ceramic media to what is in there already

Okay, will do. And, yes, I do use more of the declor than just the amount of water I am replacing. I was questioned about that also but I don't believe that will hurt the fish or the tank????

Thanks for the responses.
Get some ceramic biomedia, lasts much longer than pads...DO NOT change the filter media in a cycling tank...just add the ceramic media to what is in there already
Okay, I watched the link you had posted above. What do you think about the active sponge filter from Angels Plus?? A good idea or no??

Okay, will do. And, yes, I do use more of the declor than just the amount of water I am replacing. I was questioned about that also but I don't believe that will hurt the fish or the tank????

Thanks for the responses.

Okay, I watched the link you had posted above. What do you think about the active sponge filter from Angels Plus?? A good idea or no??
I think it is unnecessary...

I think it is unnecessary...
Good morning,
Just wanted to let y'all know that I did a 75% percent water change last night and this morning the ammonia level is .50 ppm. I know that is still not 0 but a huge difference from the original 2.00 ppm. I plan on doing another water change this evening after work. Still 75%??? I can't thank you enough. All of the fish look much better and are swimming around like they should and no one is hanging at the top trying to breathe.

Most reactions

trending

Back