What in the heck happened?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So this morning I noticed my betta was missing, but I didnā€™t have time to look for her until after school. It appears as if she is attached to the driftwood by some sort of fungus. Does anyone know what this is or how it happened? I donā€™t know if she is dead, but I will update in a few.

Attachments

• E4399CB0-CA2B-49F4-9086-14A0D6A76C46.jpeg
    E4399CB0-CA2B-49F4-9086-14A0D6A76C46.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 74
Damn Putin and his biological warfare.
It isn't even identifiable and looks more like a moth cocoon than a fish.
Does it move at all. Do it's gills move?

Could we see a better photo? Kinda blurry... That is really weird if it is connected to the driftwood by fungus

Her fins look very rough. Were they like that before she went missing? Does she have any tank mates? When was the last time you saw her? She looks very dead. Perhaps the fungusy stuff is decay as her body decomposesā€¦?

Still hard to see but the fish kinda looks unresponsive... Have you seen it move at all or is it just swaying with the current?
See how the fungus stuff is around the entire fish and SOME of the driftwood? I would say itā€™s coming from the fish not the driftwood, and a live fish wonā€™t decay like that.

See how the fungus stuff is around the entire fish and SOME of the driftwood? I would say itā€™s coming from the fish not the driftwood, and a live fish wonā€™t decay like that.
Oh god! I thoughtpart of the wood was the fish! All the red is the fish! Sorry to be blunt but that fish is dead. And even if it was alive (highly unlikely) I would euthanize it because of how bad off it is... Man, that is crazy how its decaying!

When did you first see it there? It had .to have stayed there for a while right? I mean things don't just rot instantly

Sometimes live fish do get covered in fingus like that. It's not common but it does happen. I had some nightfish (Bostockia porosa) and they spend all day sitting under rocks and wood waiting to ambush things that swim by. When the temperature drops they become less active and I had a number of them get covered n fungus and stuck to the gravel.

But the fish in the picture is in bad shape and covered in fungus and that has attached to the wood. If the fish is alive, you can try salt of a chemical medication to treat fungus, but you need to do it now or the fish is going to die.

Sometimes live fish do get covered in fingus like that. It's not common but it does happen. I had some nightfish (Bostockia porosa) and they spend all day sitting under rocks and wood waiting to ambush things that swim by. When the temperature drops they become less active and I had a number of them get covered n fungus and stuck to the gravel.

But the fish in the picture is in bad shape and covered in fungus and that has attached to the wood. If the fish is alive, you can try salt of a chemical medication to treat fungus, but you need to do it now or the fish is going to die.
That's insane! But by looking at the tail of this fish, I don't know how it will recover. I know fins grow back but that is really bad

Oh god! I thoughtpart of the wood was the fish! All the red is the fish! Sorry to be blunt but that fish is dead. And even if it was alive (highly unlikely) I would euthanize it because of how bad off it is... Man, that is crazy how its decaying!

When did you first see it there? It had .to have stayed there for a while right? I mean things don't just rot instantly
It must have happened at night because I didn't even see the fish start to rot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back