What if I use underpower airpump

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What if I use a 10gallon airpump for a 20 gallon tank for cycling until I can get a 20gal pump

Are you using a sponge filter or are you using an internal or HOB filter?

If the bubbles stream rising from the top of the sponge filter seems strong, the pump may be good enough for cycling. But I guess in the long run a stronger pump may be better.
I use an larger two outlet airpump with a fully adjustable flow for my 29 gallon tank. I have the sponge filter at one end of the tank and put an airstone at the other end. I also have a Marineland HOB filter for the tank. If I need to set up a quick quarantine tank, I can move the sponge filter from the 29 gallon tank.

Last edited:
If you have air coming out of the sponge filter, the pump is strong enough to work. After that, it becomes a question of whether it works enough for the fish species and bioload you intend to have i n there. How much air do you need to come out if it?

What matters in the pump isn't gallons, but how deeply it pushes the air.

Yes- The depth from the surface is the limiting factor in having it work. If you have a health stream of bubbles I would consider it to be working fine. I buy pretty cheap pumps and they run multiple airstones FWIW.

If you have air coming out of the sponge filter, the pump is strong enough to work. After that, it becomes a question of whether it works enough for the fish species and bioload you intend to have i n there. How much air do you need to come out if it?

The tank will hold 6 guppies some fry and a bn plecos with some shrimp

Most reactions

Back