What I have to say for the forum and future plans.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I really love this forum, it has really good info and I have learned a lot of things. I'm really glad I did research before getting fish, because I didn't know about cycling. The people who have helped me the most are @itiwhetu , @Bruce Leyland-Jones , and @Byron .
Also a few other members and mods. I really love this hobby, it is the best, I love watching fish, and the maintenance work is easy.
Another thing I have to say is that it is sadder when mammals die compared to fish because other pets can cry out in pain and fish can't(I can't go through the pain of losing a pet like that again)
Sorry if this is offensive, but this is the sad truth and the reason fish are one of the most mistreated pets.
I am <15 and I have set up a beautiful planted aquarium.
For my future plans:
I have a 6 gallon plastic storage box which I want to use for a breeding and QT tank. I will use my 10g for a betta and some shrimp(what other tank mates that are fish?)
I might get a 15g (which is relatively cheap - around RM50 ($12 USD)) and add some glowlight tetra and guppy.

I really love this forum, it has really good info and I have learned a lot of things. I'm really glad I did research before getting fish, because I didn't know about cycling. The people who have helped me the most are @itiwhetu , @Bruce Leyland-Jones , and @Byron .
Also a few other members and mods. I really love this hobby, it is the best, I love watching fish, and the maintenance work is easy.
Another thing I have to say is that it is sadder when mammals die compared to fish because other pets can cry out in pain and fish can't(I can't go through the pain of losing a pet like that again)
Sorry if this is offensive, but this is the sad truth and the reason fish are one of the most mistreated pets.
I am <15 and I have set up a beautiful planted aquarium.
For my future plans:
I have a 6 gallon plastic storage box which I want to use for a breeding and QT tank. I will use my 10g for a betta and some shrimp(what other tank mates that are fish?)
I might get a 15g (which is relatively cheap) and add some glowlight tetra and guppy.

i've never gone through losing an animal other than a fish

can we see your aquarium? my aquarium looks like 3 aquariums smashed into one...
i dont think you could fit much with a 10g and a betta maybe some endlers?

can we see your aquarium? my aquarium looks like 3 aquariums smashed into one...
i dont think you could fit much with a 10g and a betta maybe some endlers?
tetras in 55gallon.JPEG

My 55g.
10g planted aquarium for journal.JPEG

My 10g(which has been aquascaped-I removed most of the plants because it is cycled)

I lost a few rescued birds.... One went chee, chee before she passed(she hit the fan-I can never forget her)... I had had her for 3 months, and she would come if she was hungry, if I was upstairs, I called her and she would fly up and land on my finger or shoulder... truly a lovely lovely bird, she was an oriole and I miss her so much😭

I lost a few rescued birds.... One went chee, chee before she passed(she hit the fan-I can never forget her)... I had had her for 3 months, and she would come if she was hungry, if I was upstairs, I called her and she would fly up and land on my finger or shoulder... truly a lovely lovely bird, she was an oriole and I miss her so much😭
Khadija in her cage.jpeg

This was her if anyone would like to see.
Truly was such a resilient bird, as a baby fell down from a 20ft tree, broke
her leg once, flew out the door without warning(later I spotted her playing about
in the mango tree and got a shock🤣). Such a pity she didn't grow up enough
until we could release her.
black naped oriole baby first pic.jpg

She used to follow me on a basket's handle in the car on the way to
school. Ate mealworms and fruits, drank water from a syringe.

Last edited:
I’ve had a few rescue birds myself. One was a baby turtle dove that fell from a coco palm. It was so young its eyes were still closed when I found it. I couldn’t believe how tame it became. I was its mama as far as it knew. Sadly it passed away without explanation when I left it in another bird keeper’s care while I was on vacation. Someone suggested it died of a broken heart. I felt so terrible 😞

I’ve had a few rescue birds myself. One was a baby turtle dove that fell from a coco palm. It was so young its eyes were still closed when I found it. I couldn’t believe how tame it became. I was its mama as far as it knew. Sadly it passed away without explanation when I left it in another bird keeper’s care while I was on vacation. Someone suggested it died of a broken heart. I felt so terrible 😞
Aw, sorry for your loss

Your Betta will enjoy that. ;)
I told my mum about my idea she is fine with it( She said 'Sounds like a plan. But won't be much of a fish tank.' I think she means like there's only one fish and a few shrimp, but my idea of a fish tank is different from hers). This Betta will be inside the house for once, and I will get a chiller for the aquarium since it's inside and it gets quite hot. I'm going for holiday in 2 days, after the holiday I will move the 10g inside, and set up the storage box with Java moss(for breeding) and other plants. But have a question. Should it be a bare-bottom tank? easier to clean and tear down. But if it is bare bottom, should I just add bunch of floating plants(frogbit, water sprite)?
By the way, I found out something...
My 55g aquarium with full spectrum light, 2wpg. Result: Anacharis leaves grow father apart, water wisteria grows slower, gets algae
My 10g aquarium with blue and white light, 1.6wpg. Result: Anacharis grows quickly and leaves are closely packed, water wisteria grows fast and healthily, no algae. What a waste of money buying those 2 expensive LED lights(though it did improve the look of the aquarium).

That's interesting about the lights! I can't imagine keeping a betta tank outside. That would not work here. :) I see you're in Malasya...have you ever tried keeping the wild species from your area?

An often overlooked potential tankmate for a betta is the stone catfish (sometimes known as the dwarf anchor catfish), Hara jerdoni. They are very small, fairly inactive so they don't require a lot of space, and they don't mind being kept alone. In my experience, bettas leave them alone. They're really, really cute, too.

If you're going to get shrimp, I'd advise amanos. They are big enough that most bettas won't eat them.

I told my mum about my idea she is fine with it( She said 'Sounds like a plan. But won't be much of a fish tank.' I think she means like there's only one fish and a few shrimp, but my idea of a fish tank is different from hers). This Betta will be inside the house for once, and I will get a chiller for the aquarium since it's inside and it gets quite hot. I'm going for holiday in 2 days, after the holiday I will move the 10g inside, and set up the storage box with Java moss(for breeding) and other plants. But have a question. Should it be a bare-bottom tank? easier to clean and tear down. But if it is bare bottom, should I just add bunch of floating plants(frogbit, water sprite)?
By the way, I found out something...
My 55g aquarium with full spectrum light, 2wpg. Result: Anacharis leaves grow father apart, water wisteria grows slower, gets algae
My 10g aquarium with blue and white light, 1.6wpg. Result: Anacharis grows quickly and leaves are closely packed, water wisteria grows fast and healthily, no algae. What a waste of money buying those 2 expensive LED lights(though it did improve the look of the aquarium).
Being a youngling, you missed my point. Thankfully, @WhistlingBadger picked up on it. ;)
When I said that your Betta will enjoy that, I was referring to the shrimp dinners you planned on serving him. ;)

That's interesting about the lights!
Yep. Here some pics to show difference
Hydrilla in 55g
difference with hydrilla in 55g.JPEG

Hydrilla in 10g
hydrilla difference in 10g.JPEG

It looks like Elodea in the 10g, but as you can see here it is jagged.
jagged leaves on hydrilla.JPEG

Water wisteria in 55g
water wisteria in 55g.JPEG

Water wisteria in 10g(store bought)
store bought wisteria in 10g.JPEG

Water wisteria in 10g(from pond)
pond wisteria in 10g.JPEG

@Bruce Leyland-Jones , I can see what you mean by give the ludwigia time, it's growing long now, actually the reason is their getting an algae attack in my 55g. So I'll move it to the 10g.
ludwigia growing long.JPEG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back