What have been your dreams about fish keeping?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Yeah, delusions of grandeur and all that. What are the laws on keeping wild fish in Canada? Down here you have to apply for a stocking permit for game fish, and get them from an approved hatchery. Nongame fish are legal to catch and keep with a minnow trapping permit.

VERY tight. Big concern is transporting fish period. Absolutely illegal to transport live fish on land. Period.

when you keep fish for eating, they need to be dead and have enough of the carcass left for identification, and size verification before transporting. Trapping minnows and baitfish varies from region to region, but again, cannot be transported unless bought from a licenced seller. You canā€™t trap from one lake a fish on another.

most of our laws are based on protecting waters, they donā€™t have new species introduced into new waterways. Understandable. And I agree with the laws we have in place.

as far as keeping wild caught game
Fish as pets, I havenā€™t researched it, so I donā€™t know if there are permits for it or not. I doubt thatā€™s the case unless itā€™s part of government research.

ministry of natural resources has a lot of power up here, and they are not afraid to bring the hammer down when it comes to wild life protection.

so I guess Iā€™ll have to pay out a few officials when I win the lottery to achieve my dream. Lol

Trout are bad aquarium fish. They are like Brycons or those Exodons...fin eaters..not nibble,but large sharp teeth that will make other fish finless. So many aquarists get lulled by the Exodons colors and try them. Everybody but a public aquarium fails with them.
Trout in home sized tanks hate each other. The idea of small Brookies and their gold and red colors does make a nice fantasy aquarium?..but I also hear they are extremely sensitive to water over 60f and that cold water needs to be very pure and aerated.

Trout are bad aquarium fish. They are like Brycons or those Exodons...fin eaters..not nibble,but large sharp teeth that will make other fish finless. So many aquarists get lulled by the Exodons colors and try them. Everybody but a public aquarium fails with them.
Trout in home sized tanks hate each other. The idea of small Brookies and their gold and red colors does make a nice fantasy aquarium?..but I also hear they are extremely sensitive to water over 60f and that cold water needs to be very pure and aerated.
They would beautiful to look at in a well displayed tank.
They would probably be eaten by my northerns though...
Also, the tank Iā€™m dreaming of would compete with most public aquariums... lol

They would beautiful to look at in a well displayed tank.
They would probably be eaten by my northerns though...
Also, the tank Iā€™m dreaming of would compete with most public aquariums... lol
I am coming for dinner! Brown butter and white wine sauce, toasted almonds and thinly sliced lemon with a sprinkle of cardamon, yum! And a nice glass of white bordeaux...;)

Your dream tank I remember from Steinhart Aquarium with those brookies maybe no more than 8" or less. Lots of color...red bellys,gold tops,big round spots..in an aquarium of 2,000 gallons or more. In those days their tanks were deeper than wide. Very fast "running river" pumping with big round stones,big driftwood.
Its a great dream.I just meant in 150 gallons might be hard to do.

I guess its fine. But if its infinite...you'll never see one end of it....
Then again,seeing Monodactylus in a dream flying around my backyard isn't likely to happen and thus sort of philosophical and shows I wish I lived in a tropical climate..ha.

I'm not saying it's a particularly practical dream...
The idea of small Brookies and their gold and red colors does make a nice fantasy aquarium?..but I also hear they are extremely sensitive to water over 60f and that cold water needs to be very pure and aerated.
Yep, thus the need for a chiller and an outrageous filter/water change system. And you're right, you'd be hard pressed to find any fish prettier than a brookie in breeding colors. But they aren't native to this area, so I'll stick with cuts, which are also pretty handsome when they're young and in love.
showPublicImage.cfm

You might be right about the size/social aspect. Cuts are said to be the least piscivorous of the trout (based on my experiences catching them I believe it--I always seem to catch them on buggy flies, not fishy flies), so that helps. I could keep some native minnows well enough in a 150. Not sure about trout. I'll do some serious research about it one of these days. Until then, it's fun to dream.

The other two ideas, though? I've thought them out and done a lot of research, and in theory they should work out well. And as we all know, theory equals reality in this hobby.

Last edited:
I am coming for dinner! Brown butter and white wine sauce, toasted almonds and thinly sliced lemon with a sprinkle of cardamon, yum! And a nice glass of white bordeaux...;)
Lol, when I said northerns, I meant the northern pike that I would keep in my dream public aquarium style tank in my house.

donā€™t get me wrong, I love trout as a good meal, and before I was a carpenter, I was a chef. so yea, your meal idea sounds terrific!

Well, see, that's the thing: When the trout outgrow the tank, or if they start misbehaving, you just fire up the smoker.
And nowā€™s about the time of year that lends itself to cold smoking....

Been so busy this year between work and kids, and home projects, and home projects at my parentā€™s place. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve thrown more than 20 casts... and those casts would all be between unhooking bluegills and perch and re-hooking works for my boys.

damn I miss fishing...

Lol, when I said northerns, I meant the northern pike that I would keep in my dream public aquarium style tank in my house.

donā€™t get me wrong, I love trout as a good meal, and before I was a carpenter, I was a chef. so yea, your meal idea sounds terrific!
That recipe applies to pike as well. ?

Another thread. Oh well. Anyways,my dreams about fishkeeping that recur over the decades? 1. I find huge beautiful red and blue Koi...in local drainage ditches-lol. I have no net or buckets..but I can reach down and grab any fish..frustrating! 2. I one day,see my fish flying in the air in my backyard,and the thought comes to me,Why didn't I ever notice that fish can float in air too?.lol..Like it was so obvious.
So tell your literal or maybe more of a daydream about fish in aquariums..ponds too.?
Ii dream iā€m walking down a path in the woods with a shovel piled high with fish. The path leads to the ocean. Iā€™m taking them there. Lol one falls off and Iā€™m crawling around the woods looking for fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back