what happens if?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tdnp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:unsure: :unsure: I've been feeding two of my fish on eartworms and I have noticedthat sometimes one or two of the worms don't get eaten quick enough they will dig into the substrate. what I would like to know is will the worms do any harm to my tank? I know this is more of an oddball question but I've already asked it on there and didn't get much response and what response I got I tried but some still dug in I' also tried putting only one or two in but still the same happens any ideas???? :unsure: :unsure:

Uneaten earthworms will eventually die and decompose in the substrate and can cause serious water quality problems,usually chopping the worms into 1" sections does the trick but if this dosn't work you could try what i used to do when i fed my fish live tubifix worms,place the worm sections in a small glass container (a ramakin style dish is ideal) and submerge this in the tank,your fish will soon sniff out the food source and will feed out of the dish and when they have finished you can remove the dish along with any uneaten food.

Cat fish Crazy is correct. Earthworm need to breathe atmospheric air. The burrow into the the substrate because it is instinctive, but they will DROWN.
You don't tell us what size your fish are that you feed the worms to. Earthworms too are not good for tropical aquaria fish. They exude a slime from their bodies which is toxic to small fish. This is the worms natural defence against being infected by harmful bacteria whilst in the soil. If you wish to feed your fish live food why not culture yourself some microworms. They are easy to culture and very nutritious for your fish. Failing that why not go to your LFS and purchase live daphnia,glassworm or bloodworms.
Lot better and ess harmfl than earthworms. Now you may be saying to yourself, shops sell earthworms for fishing- and you would be correct in your statement. The worms they sell have been specially bred so that the don't contain any impurities. If you disect one you will find that it's gut is free of soil which house billions of harmful bacteria.
I hope that I haven't put you off, but FREE is not always best, especially for your aquatic friends.

Their polypterus senegalus and about 14cm. I have been buying my earthworms from fishing shop who cultures his own. I can't use bloodworm as I have a Green Terror in with them also 2 red finned sharks same size as the poly's 3 large plec's and an extra large Pangasius. So I don't think the smaller worms would work or would they? :unsure:

Mmmm. I see..... You have BIG fish. Yes smaller worms would work however you would spend most of you time feeding them! CFC's idea of slicing the worms into edible pieces would be a sound and logical advice. A good sharp "old fashioned" razor blade would be excellect otherwise a sharp Stanley knife blade would serve just as well, but remember before you use any blades you need to clean off the proctetive film of oil otherwise you could contaminate the food and poison your fish.
Ehh! not a job that I would envy.

A warning: Mind you don't cut yourself. Tetnus jabs and all that springs to mind...if you know what I mean.....

I'll have too buy some larger worms because the ones i've got are only about 2cm don't worry about a tetnus jab I had one not that long ago :blink:

Chop the worms in the pot with sissors,its a lot easier than using a knife :lol: To clean the worms of their natural slime coating place them in a tub of shredded damp newspaper for about an hour before you ned them.

Most fish will eat earthworms,some plecs do enjoy meaty foods so you never know till you try.

I've not been trying but when the polys leave there feeding area the plecs can't get there fast enough! so I was wondering whilst whatching them and being surrounded by fish and fish folk

:D :D I've been told to put them in hot water first which kills them then I've chopped them and fed them with total success :D :D

Sounds like you may have been a medievil torturerer in a previous life :lol: :lol: :lol: glad youve found a way that works for you.

Most reactions

trending

Back