What Happened To The Pin On Different Species For Nano Tanks?

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
It's gone. Found a link to it and that link doesn't appear to work. Why was it removed? I found it very helpful.

Alot of the information on it was not correct, I think Chad might have taken it down.

Ah, I see. I typically doubled the sizes required for some of the fish, as I would typically do in my LFS. Thanks for the input, Ellie.

Would it be worth a few of us attempting a "second draft" at the list?  I'm a new member but have lurked for a while and found it very helpful - not as a gospel guide to nano tanks, more as a jumping off point for research.  It was a good resource, shame to lose it.

First of, we'd have to know... What would be considered as a "nano" fish?

I tend to use the information on SeriouslyFish to check whether a fish is suitable for a certain tank size - but of course it helps to know the name of the fish first which doesn't help people just looking for ideas!

SeriouslyFish mostly gives tank sizes in length rather than capacity and there are very few (if any) fish that they recommend for any tank under 45cm.  Even bettas and endlers are listed as requiring 45cm.  I think this rules out most tanks under about 30L as suitable for anything except perhaps shrimp.

I don't know how accurate SeriouslyFish really is or how many people would agree with that recommendation.

Some fish thought of nano fish because of their size actually need far more room than you'd think.
Neon green rasboras as an example, although very small are very active swimmers & use every inch of the 3 footer they're in.

daizeUK said:
I tend to use the information on SeriouslyFish to check whether a fish is suitable for a certain tank size - but of course it helps to know the name of the fish first which doesn't help people just looking for ideas!

SeriouslyFish mostly gives tank sizes in length rather than capacity and there are very few (if any) fish that they recommend for any tank under 45cm.  Even bettas and endlers are listed as requiring 45cm.  I think this rules out most tanks under about 30L as suitable for anything except perhaps shrimp.

I don't know how accurate SeriouslyFish really is or how many people would agree with that recommendation.
I used the list mostly for ideas, but of course enjoy doing my own research. Sometimes I find seriouslyfish's tank requirements a bit difficult to understand because I am awful at numbers and remembering the dimensions of my tanks. Plus the search function you can use doesn't work for me (profile search works well, but when I use the search where I can input my tank stats, it never works).

It would be nice to see a guide for the various types of fish suitable for a five to twenty gallon tank. I, personally, feel that anything under five gallons is really cramped unless it is an emergency or temporary situation (I've got one betta in a 2.5, but I'm trying to move him out as soon as I can), or if you're using a really nano tank as a food source. I keep snails in the small tank, get new ones every week, pull a few out daily before I put them in the ten where they will be eaten.

Maybe we could compile a thorough list of fish who can thrive in small aquaria. Single bettas in a five or higher, a few guppies in a five or higher, dwarf puffs, etc. Maybe if they are not listed by as bare minimum requirements but by thriving requirements, maybe then we could have a nice compilation for people like me who like small fish for small tanks and more small fish for bigger tanks.

attibones said:

I like that idea a lot 
yes.gif
a thread which makes suggestions for the common small aquarium sizes (maybe 5, 7.5, 10, 15 and 20?) would be a really helpful resource.  I know it's possible to keep some fish in smaller setups than this (Shelster posted an interesting article on betta space requirements a while ago) but I feel that these tanks are generally best for experienced nano keepers, whereas I have a feeling this thread would get used by a lot of beginners, or people looking for ideas for kids' tanks, so I think your idea of "thriving" requirements is a good one.

attibones said:

I used the list mostly for ideas, but of course enjoy doing my own research. Sometimes I find seriouslyfish's tank requirements a bit difficult to understand because I am awful at numbers and remembering the dimensions of my tanks. Plus the search function you can use doesn't work for me (profile search works well, but when I use the search where I can input my tank stats, it never works).

It would be nice to see a guide for the various types of fish suitable for a five to twenty gallon tank. I, personally, feel that anything under five gallons is really cramped unless it is an emergency or temporary situation (I've got one betta in a 2.5, but I'm trying to move him out as soon as I can), or if you're using a really nano tank as a food source. I keep snails in the small tank, get new ones every week, pull a few out daily before I put them in the ten where they will be eaten.

Maybe we could compile a thorough list of fish who can thrive in small aquaria. Single bettas in a five or higher, a few guppies in a five or higher, dwarf puffs, etc. Maybe if they are not listed by as bare minimum requirements but by thriving requirements, maybe then we could have a nice compilation for people like me who like small fish for small tanks and more small fish for bigger tanks.

Oops - not sure what I did with the quote function before, but this is what I meant to quote!

Thanks, Seeker. I feel like this is something that could be done, so long as we have a good number of people contributing to the list of species. I know I would not be able to talk about the tank requirements for some of the stranger species of fish because I've never had them, but I can talk a great deal about bettas, puffers, guppies, platies, etc. 

I'm sure once the discussion thread takes off, plenty of people will chip in with suggestions - from the classics to the weird and wonderful! 

I don't understand why it was taken down, I did say it was for improvement. The idea was people would suggest species to put on/taken off because of territorial requirements, space requirements and what not. We might wanna try another crack at it, let's make sure we get it right so it doesn't get taken down!

Tek out.

When do we start? 

TekFish said:
I don't understand why it was taken down, I did say it was for improvement. The idea was people would suggest species to put on/taken off because of territorial requirements, space requirements and what not. We might wanna try another crack at it, let's make sure we get it right so it doesn't get taken down!

Tek out.
When do we start? 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back