what happened to my molly? :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My chocolate molly, Cocoa passed away last night :(. I had gone away for the weekend and a family member had been feeding my fish. I came home today and she had passed away:(. I'm not sure what happened. She had been acting normal up until I left. No visible symptoms on her. My dad said she was normal and eating when he fed them. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 8 nitrate. I did a 50% water change before I left and all my other fish are healthy and active. The only thing I can think is that she had fry the night before I left. After that she seemed exausted for a bit but over all fine. I'm just not sure :(

My chocolate molly, Cocoa passed away last night :(. I had gone away for the weekend and a family member had been feeding my fish. I came home today and she had passed away:(. I'm not sure what happened. She had been acting normal up until I left. No visible symptoms on her. My dad said she was normal and eating when he fed them. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 8 nitrate. I did a 50% water change before I left and all my other fish are healthy and active. The only thing I can think is that she had fry the night before I left. After that she seemed exausted for a bit but over all fine. I'm just not sure :(
Sorry, she had a good home :). Chin up.

I think @AdoraBelle Dearheart mentioned it's common to lose the mom after fry drops. Sorry for your loss.
It is pretty common I'm afraid, birthing is a high risk event for any animal, sadly, and it does happen sometimes, especially if she seemed exhausted afterwards. I've lost two females that were just unable to birth the fry for some reason, and one female was clearly badly damaged after she dropped a batch, with some internal bleeding and it affected the way she swam. I used salt water treatment for her and didn't think she'd survive, but she did live another six months and mostly recovered, but was never quite the same, and never had any more fry.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

It is pretty common I'm afraid, birthing is a high risk event for any animal, sadly, and it does happen sometimes, especially if she seemed exhausted afterwards. I've lost two females that were just unable to birth the fry for some reason, and one female was clearly badly damaged after she dropped a batch, with some internal bleeding and it affected the way she swam. I used salt water treatment for her and didn't think she'd survive, but she did live another six months and mostly recovered, but was never quite the same, and never had any more fry.

I'm sorry for your loss :(
Thanks. I'm sorry you lost your mollies :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back