What happen to my swordtails mouth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello again, me again ;), this is my swordtail and her mouth seems weird, is this a disease? Also she seems to be like this for a while now.
3F46A7E6-3DF0-426B-9F7C-F58E2AB6D4E4.jpeg
59DF5453-12AF-4211-BAFA-33DE3D50F6E5.jpeg
84E95B5C-5C7A-443F-A943-29B7177BED47.jpeg

water parameters: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate about 4-10
And sorry about the picture, this is the best I can take, I wait for half an hour and cant even take a better pic.
@Colin_T

If it has been like that for more than 1 week it is probably bruising from swimming into something hard (usually the glass at night).

If it has only been there for a day or two, then it could be bruising or Columnaris.

------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks then stop using it.
If you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains stable.

If it has been like that for more than 1 week it is probably bruising from swimming into something hard (usually the glass at night).

If it has only been there for a day or two, then it could be bruising or Columnaris.

------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks then stop using it.
If you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains stable.
It was like that since she was a fry plus she had furry white belly and I dont know if it’s a disease or not, cause 1 of her friend died today.
Also new picture
F7FBEB6E-CA0F-46DA-8851-E6AE7639B162.jpeg
E38CD04A-552F-463B-A630-C104170590F7.jpeg
ADAB993D-B120-4B36-AC82-D07D2150853F.jpeg
2BAD2816-B5A3-466B-8A55-85002BB7BD6C.jpeg

Last edited:
If she had it since she was a fry, it's a genetic defect.

I can't see any fungus under her belly or anywhere else on her.

If livebearers get fungal infections, do a big water change, gravel clean the substrate, clean the filter and add salt.

If she had it since she was a fry, it's a genetic defect.

I can't see any fungus under her belly or anywhere else on her.

If livebearers get fungal infections, do a big water change, gravel clean the substrate, clean the filter and add salt.
Is it because of inbreeding in my swordtail tank?

Genetic defects in domestic fish are just about always caused by inbreeding.

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are line breeding then keep the females separate until they are no longer gravid (pregnant), then add a male to their tank for a week.

If you are trying to get nice healthy fish with assorted colours, then get some unrelated males and swap them for the males you currently have.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back