What goes with...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

upchuck55

Reaction score
Swordtails, platys, tetras. Does that group have a name? what do those(+ the ones that go with thoes) fish eat? not flakes eh?

Hi Chuck, welcome to the boards first off.

I'm not really sure what exactly you are asking.....we have a 55 gallon tank with 3 tuxedo platys (one in the maternity tank at the moment), 1 red wag platy, 1 marigold swordtail (male), 1 lg red and black swordtail (male), 1 velvet sword (female), 5 black skirt tetras, 3 tiger barbs, 2 green barbs, 2 albino cory cats, 1 green cory cat, 1 lg. pleco, and 6 serpae tetras. We lost a couple of female swords. :(

The swords and platys are livebearers. As to the tetras, they are just that tetras. These are all tropical fish. We feed ours tropical fish flakes, freeze dried tubifex worms, and algae tabs (meant for the pleco but the platys, swords, corys and serpae's all seem to love them as well). As a treat we give them pieces of cucumber, romaine lettuce, and frozen brine shrimp. They all go wild over the brine shrimp!! I hope this answers your question as I am not sure except on the food exactly what kind of answer you are searching for.

:eek: Don't forget the Mollies! lol ;)

mine all eat the same thing's ( 3 mollies, 3 platy's, 1 pleco)
they love the bloodworms..looks like a feeding frenzy :lol:

P.S. WELCOME WELCOME :nod:

You need to hook me up with a couple ballon mollys there Molly, I seen them and thought now those are tough

LOL

Les

They all get on well with flake food. I feed mine King British flakes (I have platies and tetras also).

They also get on really well with blood worms and brine shrimp (be aware that these are fattening :nod: and should only be fed a couple of meals per week as a treat)

I'm planing on getting 2 of each of these today: 2 red swordtails, blue tetras, and kind a mollies, and 2 orange platys. I have to know it their gonnna kill eachother. Once my aquarium gets some alge build up, Im gonna get a eater fish.(whats a good 1?)

With the mollies I believe you need brackish water (salt in the tank but not like a marine setup). The platys and swords should do ok in this depending on if the lfs you get them from has them in fresh or brackish. Whatever they are used to will be easier as the move will stress them enough without extreme water differences. Not sure about the tetras though or an algae eater. Sorry, I will research more later, if you don't have replies when I get home from work. Right now if I don't go I will be late!!!

Les they are the funniest! it's pretty fun to watch them Waddle around the tank.

My mollies & platy's do fine together. If you decide to add the salt just do it very slowly in small does until everyone adjusts.. I have heard that the tetras will be okay in a slighty salted tank... lol matter of fact I think it was Les that told me that...or maybe bigfish..

Can't wait to get the new tank...just thinking about all the possiblities in a 125US gal...has got me pretty giddy!! :wub: :p :fun: :hyper:

The only part that I don't care for is the cost! scarey what a tank that big will cost me!

Guilty as charged Molly, I think I may be the only person here that has a little salt in his tank when everyone says no....lol
Right now I am on a search for a new swordtail as with my changing the substrate to sand she got injured cause she was so skiddish.
I was really hurt to see her there as she was the only one that I have ever seen with her coloring except for her man

Les

WELCOME CHUCK, WITH ALL COMMUNITY TANKS YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THE BEST BALANCE, IT CAN BE TRIAL AND ERROR IM AFRAID, LIKE LIFE THEIR WILL ALWAYS BE BULLIES IN THE TANK, BUT FISH SEEM TO COPE WELL, MY RUBY SHARK HAS A TENDANCY TO TERRORISE, BUT IT ONLY LASTS SECONDS, MY TIGR BARBS ARE FINE, OTHERS SAY THEY NIP, I HAVE NO SALT AND MINE ARE FINE, I ESPECIALLY LIKE SAILFIN MOLLIES, HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK. :D

@ the store they told me that platys will eat tetras, (a male platy nips @ my F swordtai)l. The rest get along good. My female platy was pregnent in the store! the rest get along fine, and I made a pyramid out of marbles to build up alge in a spcific place for my sucker. :thumbs: 2 nite im gonna build a playpen for the baby platys (soon 2 come) what is a good price (American dollars or Canadian(I can convert))

The best thing for babies IMHO is to get some plants like grasses or I believe its called Pennywort. Anything that will make a great thick cover will be great. When I did mine I used some existing plants from my tank and bought some new fake plants to mix in and my babies love it

HTH

Les

I only got a 10, and I got a huge amazon somthing (fake) and some caves

From what I've been able to find out the Tetra is actually part of the Characins...same family as Pirhanas. :eek:
The 3 we have (not sure the species as they are "Painted" :grr:) are in "Sharkies Tank" ...but the fat little hooligans look like mini Pirhanas and are nippy little fellas, or were until I introduced my little Princess (N. Salvini cichlid), now they are angels :nod: We also have a small school of 5 neons (I believe they are Tetras) in the community tank with Mollies, Platties, and Danios and no one seems to bother them...actually when they get nervous they school with the 10 Danios for protection.

Once my aquarium gets some alge build up, Im gonna get a eater fish.(whats a good 1?)

We use a Ramshorn snail to control the Algae in our community tank, but I notice both the Mollies and the Platties also pick at the algae when the mood strikes them...the snail gets some algae build up on his shell once in a while, and the mollies love to clean it off for him :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back