What Frustrates You Most

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

1) Dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs (never understood the saying that it's lucky to stand in it)
2) People who shout negative stuff on the football (soccer for people over the pond) pitch at their team mates (generally they're not very good and the last ones to do the hard work)
3) intolerance of others opinions /arrogance/rudeness shown by some LFS employees and some forum members - the inference that people can't learn through using forums and assumption that they've no experience cause they use forums. By learning through experience then it would mean that they have made the very mistakes other "inexperienced" hobbiests and looking down on folk who are either trying to learn the proper way-by researching, using forums, reading books etc and arrogance that comes with their knowledge and thinking that they are the only people who know or their way is the only way to do things.

seeing I'm on a roll, folk who seem to chose to mistake other peoples manners as them being stupid or not knowing, when a lot of times it's because they don't want confrontation

I must agree with this one.... There is no rule of thumb in keeping fish.... You may experience something completely different from the "norm" or what is written in a book..... I remember being attacked when I just started on this forum for saying that, "generally" Siamese fighters are peaceful fish as long as they are not kept with their own species........ I wish I'd never said that, BUT!!!!.... that was my experience and I was being truthful when I said it.... I've now learnt to keep quiet about anything, which I know can be controversial.

anyway, i was in a MA today as my dad nipped into the garden centre next door and one of the employees was giving advice. (this tank was no bigger than 30L)

woman: how long it would need to be set up before my son can add fish?
lfs worker: come back in a week.
Woman: a week?? (sounding surprised), gosh! --- she was expenting to take some tommorow or something.
woman: what fish can i add?
LFS worker: angels, corries, plec (he poined out a gibby!) angels are a good place to start
Woman: ok il take the tank today.

firstly: nothing mentioned about cycling, the water can sit there for a week but if the filter is not turned on then its useless, plus it takes longer than that to cycle a filter. angles to start with????!!!!! WCMM more like! an angel would not be able to move in a 30l tank! (if that maybe 20l) a gibby pleco gets massive (AKA sailfin)
it was appauling, worst advice i have ever heard, but i could not say anything. i also noticed several dead fish in various tanks, some near death discus and fish floating upside down near the top.
i said to my dad who had arrived by this time, "whats the betting they are selling the non aquatic plants" and oh yes, pride of place in the plant cabnet, the white and green stripy plant. (dracea?)
i promptly left the store. :lol:

And people who make up stories to make their post relevant :grr: :grr: :grr:
ok whos telling porkies lol,my pet hate is when you get loads of people looking at your post and just 1 answers,because every little helps :hyper: :hyper:
####, it was true i go in most days so its no biggy, however this was not my regular LFS as i had been driven to worthing to pick up my new 240l tank :hyper: . i mean a gibby in that size tank? are you nuts! so are you telling me that i didnt see that?

i tell you what, that can go on one of my pet hates, when people dont believe you. its #### ######. maybe you should have been there, well after your trip to the docs to see if your brain is still there or if it really is concrete......

Large chain pet stores:

1) They have little to no fishkeeping knowledge: they will sell anyone anything. The words cycling, compatible, pH, etc etc etc are nonexistant in their vocab. Either they care and want the sale (likely), don't care about anything (being a minimum wage employee, even more likely) or have absolutely no clue and took the 15 minute store training video that made them "experts" (i find this most often) Its painful to watch customers get led so far astray in the course of 10 mins in the store. As a side note the plants falsely labelled as aquatic (that are not in any way shape or form) adds icing to the cake.

2) The absolutely horrific condition the fish are in. The tanks are so poorly taken care of somtimes that it is painful to walk into the aquarium section.
And these have all happened to me and my family, all of which have kept fish for years successfully and myself who went to school for fish biology

3) They assume they know more than you, and that you are a moron (joe shmoe asks you what tank size you have, doesnt believe you when you tell him you have 5 tanks all running, up to 150G and gives you that ridiculous speech about 1" of fish per gallon)

4) They label things incorrectly. Yes, believe it or not, Ember barbs are different from Clown barbs. At least last time I checked...

5) They tell you to make sure your tank is big enough for those previously mislabelled ember barbs that they call clowns because they get big. What about that tankful of common plecs and bala sharks that you sell to anyone and anything, or those goldfish that will be the size of small whales in a year or two.

6) They get mad when you decide against fish because there is a sick one in the tank: "its only one of them, you can still get the healthy ones..." hahaha

ok my rant is done.

Mentioning "not labelling" or incorrectly, the female at my local has absolutely no idea....

When you enquire about the price of a fish, she ad hockly shoots from the hip and spontaneously make up a price.... Her Blue Gouramies, she said to me is R35 (still small) - I sell mine at R4 (adults) and when I asked her the price of her Discus, she said they were R30......

I immediately said to her I'll take all six of 'em (at that size, the sell for R150ea)...... When I got home & released them, I noticed there were 7 (and not 6)..... I did not even feel guilty.....

Crappy selection in most LFS. I can appreciate that the rarer breeds don't sell as well as guppies and that they need to move what sells in order to turn a profit but damn it if it doesn't drive me nuts that I'm going to have to pay $25 for shipping on a $5 fish if that's what I really want.

Most reactions

trending

Back