What food to feed dwarf crayfish, red cherry shrimps? Also, what is fuzzy white balls in tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shaylynn

Reaction score
I have two questions. I am somewhat new to the hobby and have recently purchased red cherry shrimp, and want to get 3 dwarf mexican crayfish. I did have a crayfish a few weeks ago, but he suddenly became very sick and despite all efforts to help him, he died. I thought he was molting, so I just kept an eye on him and left him to do his thing. However, quite quickly I noticed he was not shedding the shell but rather it appeared to be growing. I only realized too late it was not molting but may have been a white, fuzzy fungus or something I noticed to be on the wood in my tank. What is that stuff? I have pima and mela fix but that didnt help. What do I do to rid my tank of it? Second question. I cant seem to find a good food that will be suitable for both the little shrimps and the crayfish. All the foods I find have copper sulfate. Is this ok for shrimps? Can someone recommend a brand of food that is good for both and complete nutrition? Thanks everybody for your help.

I feed crab cuisine and Ken’s veggie sticks which you can order online. Not sure about the fuzzy stuff. Good luck!

I do not recommend mixing dwarf Mexican crayfish with shrimp. Larger crayfish species will eat the occasional shrimp but won't decimate the population. Dwarf Mexican Crayfish will attempt to mate with the shrimp. This causes massive internal damage to the shrimp, killing them. Unless the aquarium is very large with many many shrimp, you will notice in a month or two that all your shrimp have died/mysteriously disappeared.

The white fuz on your driftwood is harmless, the cherry shrimp may eat it, snails and ancistrus will. It is a fungus and will die out on its own eventually.

I feed my shrimp and crayfish Sera's "Shrimps Natural"
I've heard lots of good things about shrimp king foods by dennerle but have yet to try them.

The crayfish may have died trying to molt because you don't have enough calcium in the water or in their food.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back