What foam or mat should i put under my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adhdan

Reaction score
Ive got a 96x30x30 tank coming in the morning, i was advised it needs sitting on a foam mat, its flat bottomed. Is there anything suitable at builders merchants that are suitable to go under a tank this size, 8x4 insulation sheet or something thats readily available? Ive messaged the company that made the tank to see if they can bring whatever material they use but i think the van will be on the way before they see the message.
thanks
Dan

are the tank dimensions in cm or inches?

I like to use a 10-20mm thick piece of polystyrene foam under tanks.

the white low density stuff or would you recommend the pink high density stuff

just white polystyrene foam sold at pet shops (here, not sure if you lot sell it there). The same sort of polystyrene foam they use to make little surfboards for kids, or the old fashioned foam esky (cooler).

Can you also place it under rimmed tanks like the black rimmed ones?

we have foam under all tanks in Australia.

there might be issues with tanks that have raised bases but we don't get them here.

It’s inches, will the expanded white polystyrene sheets that comes in 8x4 from builders merchants be suitable , I think thinnest is about 20mm or maybe 25mm

That's a big tank.

I don't know what builders merchants sell but it should be fine if you have 25mm thick foam under the tank. The foam is mainly to remove any slight uneven areas on the stand so there are no pressure points on the glass. The uneven areas get pushed into the foam instead of the base of the tank.

Thanks for replies, I got a sheet of inch kingspan but when the tank arrived they had a foam mat the right size they’d used as a packer in the van so I used that, it was maybe 15mm polystyrene that was a little more rigid then the white stuff .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for replies, I got a sheet of inch kingspan but when the tank arrived they had a foam mat the right size they’d used as a packer in the van so I used that, it was maybe 15mm polystyrene that was a little more rigid then the white stuff .
That’s an awesome tank, stand, and lighting setup you have. Be sure you enter it in out Tank of the Month contest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back