What fish would you like to eventually keep?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am so envious of you that you have something you want to keep. I am at a point where I know what I dont want to, and I keep finding "ooh maybe this" fish every day, and then changing my mind. I dont have any special request fish, except corydoras which I already have. So sad:(

I am so envious of you that you have something you want to keep. I am at a point where I know what I dont want to, and I keep finding "ooh maybe this" fish every day, and then changing my mind. I dont have any special request fish, except corydoras which I already have. So sad:(

I'm exactly the same. If I could have 5 different tanks I know the various setups and fish I'd have in each, but I don't really have a dream fish or anything like that.

Why's that?
Firstly, I fing them nowhere as appealing as the species from the other complexes. Don't ask me why, cause idk.
Secondly, the chances that the fish you'll get is a hybrid are high. I don't want to take such a risk.
Thirdly, I don't want to deal with their agression. I find them to be the most agressive amongst all other wilds.

Thirdly, I don't want to deal with their agression. I find them to be the most agressive amongst all other wilds.
More aggressive than some of the wild species outside the splendens complex? There are some aggressive Betta species that are not from the splendens complex. For example, take Betta sp. "Candy." This is an undescribed species from the unimaculata complex. While it's not a commonly kept wild Betta species, the people who kept this species claimed that they are aggressive to one another. Even Wentian Shi claims that they are aggressive and had to remove the female because she "got beaten to corner and refuse to eat" by the male. Of course, there are claims of Betta gladiator being notoriously aggressive with one another.

More aggressive than some of the wild species outside the splendens complex? There are some aggressive Betta species that are not from the splendens complex. For example, take Betta sp. "Candy." This is an undescribed species from the unimaculata complex. While it's not a commonly kept wild Betta species, the people who kept this species claimed that they are aggressive to one another. Even Wentian Shi claims that they are aggressive and had to remove the female because she "got beaten to corner and refuse to eat" by the male. Of course, there are claims of Betta gladiator being notoriously aggressive with one another.
100% true. But I think I also said that I like the ones from the other complexes more. And it's quite imposible to keep aaaall wild bettas. Id I get aaall the others, I'll make sure to get splendens too.

(Edit: (it seems like you know a lot about wilds, do you have any articles / blogs / whatever you think I should read?))

Last edited:
I have a fish version of John Lennon's "Imagine" in my head, except with the part about no borders, I keep thinking of no borders so I could send killifish to my US friends! That closed border is so frustrating when I have tanks of some of the fish people here dream of, and no legal way to get them into their hands.

No thought even needed. It would be Rope Fish!!!!! :) I just need to go with a bigger tank first as it would not be fair to keep them in a 20 gallon cube. I'm sure that they could survive but it just would not be fair. Most human interactive fish I've ever had; they loved being petted! No, they are NOT eels or snakes. They are true lung fish. They are extremely friendly miniature sea serpents. ;)

rope.jpg

No thought even needed. It would be Rope Fish!!!!! :) I just need to go with a bigger tank first as it would not be fair to keep them in a 20 gallon cube. I'm sure that they could survive but it just would not be fair. Most human interactive fish I've ever had; they loved being petted! No, they are NOT eels or snakes. They are true lung fish. They are extremely friendly miniature sea serpents. ;)

View attachment 163911
Hold on, just adding something to my list here

Hold on, just adding something to my list here
LOL! I take it that you like the image of a Rope Fish. If you ever get they love meal worms. I ran into a problem with one Rope Fish I had due to hand feeding. It would eat out of my hand but it came to the point where that was the only way it would eat.

If you are actually interested please keep in mind that they can get to 15+ inches in a captive tank. Here is a pretty good description.

No thought even needed. It would be Rope Fish!!!!! :)

View attachment 163911
Oh my goodness I love this fish! Look at that face! It is so cute!!!

As for myself, I only have the space for two tanks, my 10 gal and a 29 gal, so I've always had smaller nano fish.
I love bettas, so it would be awesome if I could one day keep a wild variety. I also think bichirs are really cool, and discus seem like nice statement fish.
But for now, keeping to what I can do in smaller tanks, I would love to have a successful shrimp colony, as well as a school of chili rasboras!

Really fun thread!

Most reactions

trending

Back