what fish to get?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seattle jeff

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just got a new tank after ten years. Used to be way into it breeding lots of cichlids and such. When I last had fish I had a pair of urau and a bunch of discus, loved them. Now I am getting this tank ready and cant seem to decide where to start, thought about going back to where I left off but for what ever reason cant decide. Ive cycled the tank and am getting ready to fix the water ph and hardness to soot what ever fish i get. My dilema is I want a vegitarian :D cichlid that can thrive in a semi diverse tank and still get them to breed. One guy suggested the severums but the seem so pedestrian (like gruomies or something). Any one got any suggestions. My tank is a 75 gal set up salt style (minus the salt) with the filter spill and pump underneth, never had that type before but it seems to work fine. well anyone got any ideas?
jeff

actually I was considering just getting some to breed but just let the brood go for food or make it if they can. I would seperate them for some time with a divider but in the end i was hoping for a "natural tank" sounds beastley now that i say it aload. Havent heard of mnuba before do they have another common name and will they eat my plants, I have quite a few.

They are African cichlids from Lake Malawi. Yes they will eat your plants. but how do you expect to keep vegetarian cichlids and plants in the tank? I don't think this is possible.

oh those mbuba, I just saw a bunch, yah i considered african but....but i have raised lots of vegetarians that didnt eat my plants by chosing the right plant types and fish that have a perticular type of vegi diet. It has been done it just takes planing. hope i dont sound rude. but i had at one time considered african cichlids and filling the tank half full with rock caves and the top half with low plants and really small fish up top, that might work whaqta ya think?

That would look sweet, if you can keep em from eating the plants. Let me know what you decide and how it goes :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back