FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JamesTasker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 30gallon tank with the following occupants:

1 bristlenosed catfish
3 kuhli loaches
3 platys (all female as far as I can tell)
4 5-banded barbs
9 neon tetras

The tank gets a 25% weekly water change and runs on a fluval 3 filter. It is planted.

I reckon that I can stock some more because, the tank has a large surface area for its size (625sq.in) and all readings and things are fine (I recently left it without a water change for a fortnight and everything in it was fine)

I would like a bigger fish (or maybe 2) which swims around (not a bottom feeder) to be a sort of centre-piece fish.

I was wondering about several species:

Pearl gourami,
Cosby/opaline gourami
RTBS
Betta

Are any of these compatible with the fish I have already or does anyone have any other ideas of fish I could get?

Thanks, :)

The gouramis and betta won't be compatible with the barbs you already have. I'd go with the RTBS.

Oh yeah I didn't notice that. The RTBS will probably chase if not eat your smaller fish. Barbs will usually nip at the long trailng fins of gouramis and bettas. Oh and you can't keep gouramis and bettas together either, they will probably fight.

You shouldn't have many problems with the barbs and gourmais. You have a small group of them, so they'll probably be to busy amusing themselves with each other.

K-Holed said:
You shouldn't have many problems with the barbs and gourmais. You have a small group of them, so they'll probably be to busy amusing themselves with each other.
Actually it's the opposite... the bigger the group of barbs the less chance of aggression towards other fish, as they will be too busy establishing and keeping a pecking order. If you have only 2-3 barbs they will constantly terrorize your gouramis and other fish. Usually you need 6 or more barbs to be safe.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back