What Fish Should I Get?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

menacer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok well my tank has the Ammonia added and whilst its cycling i thought i should ask your opinion on fish.

I have a reasonably high ph 7.5 - 7.7

I was wondering what fish to get, i was looking at tropical crab/shrip and frogs to

Whats your views?

What size is the tank? Big factor in what livestock you choose.

A tropical fish/shrimp setup with plants is always nice to have.

James.

I've always thought that fish are a personal thing and as such it should be your choice and your choice only. Obviously you need to factor your water conditions into the equation so its probably best to wotk out what fish are suited to your conditions and then decide from there. Me, i love puffers and given the chance would have a whole room full of puffer tanks. As it is i only have one tank so have to choose carefully. So ultimatly i would love to get a trio of South American puffers to add to my community tank at some point.

I purchased five corys the other day, two are so fun to watch, the others are still settling in. I can sit and watch the two playing about all evening but thats me.

I'm real lucky in that I have a friend who can advise me on what to do or if I go out fish hunting she lets me know if I can't have certain fish.

But, I can tell you that I started with fighters and they are beautiful!
I keep all of mine in community tanks and they are fun to watch, are very active ^_^ and they all have such different personalities.

But like markp2067 said, it is something thats quite personal. You'll find what you like and grow from there :good:

You'll find what you like and grow from there

^^ Not entirely true.

Asking for ideas on stocking isn't a case of 'stock my tank for me'. It's a case of giving someone a huge list of fish that are suitable, and giving them some rough ideas of what kinds of set-ups they can put together. It's always the persons choice in the end, but if you didn't ask for suggestions then you'd limit yourself to only 'common' fish at the local fish shop as you wouldn't have a wide enough knowledge of combinations/types of fish, what they're like and if they're suitable.

Maybe I didn't make that clear, I started out with fighters.
I can't very well put them in with goldfish, guppies and other male fighters which is what I might have done if my friend hadn't advised me.

Do what I did Menacer and get down to the LFS with a notepad and pen. Have a good look around and write down all of the fish you like the look of. Get home, research them all and you'll begin to get an idea of which would be compatible with your tank and each other. From there you can fine tune a bit more. We're off in about 30 minutes for our 2nd look around, (at a different LFS), to fine tune even more.

correct me if I am wrong but I am sure that I read somewhere on here that whilst you are cycling you tank with ammonia the pH will artifically high anyway. It may be better testing your water at a point when you have little or no ammonia in your water.
Like I said, correct me if I am wrong cos I am new to fishkeeping. My water pH is currently 8.0 with 2.0ppm ammonia in but my brother in law who is in the same water supply as me has a normal pH of less than 7.0

My tank is 48 litres. I did test my PH before i added the Ammonia. Yes i think thats a good idea go to the shop and write down the ones i like. Thanks again ladies and gents ;)

My tank is 48 litres. I did test my PH before i added the Ammonia. Yes i think thats a good idea go to the shop and write down the ones i like. Thanks again ladies and gents ;)

Roughly 10 imperial gallons. So bear that in mind. You could have 6 tetras & a couple of other fish in there.

At 48litres a rough estimate would be to avoid anything that grows over 6cm. And avoid anything super active or territorial. So danios and rainbowfish are pretty much off the list. But there are still lots of shoalers and lots of slightly larger 'centerpiece' fish available.

Personally I'd opt for something like a shoal of 4cm fish and 1 or 2 'main' fish such as a single dwarf gourami, a pair of some of the smaller apistos, a pair/trio of honey gouramis.

is there anywhere on the internet anywhere which lists all the common fish and then interactively indicates which are not suitable. I'm thinking something like a site which asks what size tank you've got and knocks off the fish which will be too big. You'd then select a fish and on doing that all the incompatible fish would grey out (eg select angel fish and the neons would be grey (assuming one eats the other!). The overstocking issue could also ne checked...

is there anywhere on the internet anywhere which lists all the common fish and then interactively indicates which are not suitable. I'm thinking something like a site which asks what size tank you've got and knocks off the fish which will be too big. You'd then select a fish and on doing that all the incompatible fish would grey out (eg select angel fish and the neons would be grey (assuming one eats the other!). The overstocking issue could also ne checked...

I did find this, when I was stocking.

Although it isn't the most detailed.

Input a fish your interested in, for example, Honey Gourami, and it will list suitable tank mates.

Nothing to do with the size of your tank though, so keep that in mind.

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/NameResults.php

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back