What Fish Should I Add?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stiddy

Reaction score
I currently have 9 Drawf neon Rainbow fish (they do have many other names, but this name everyone seems to know), 5 zebra loach and 2 SAE.
Its a mature tank and I was looking to add another school of small fish but not really sure what to add? would be very grateful of peoples suggestions.
when i get some time I will add some pictures!
Thanks alot

How about a true top-dweller of some sort?

• Hatchetfish
  • Another Rainbow, the Pseudomugil furcata (Forktail Blue-Eye), gorgeous little fish!
  • Clown Killifish
  • Halfbeak species
  • Pearl/Zebra/Leopard etc. Danio

Get some African Butterflyfish if your tank would allow it... just be careful they will eat ANYTHING that fits in their mouths and they have some BIIIG mouths... I feed mine baby guppies and mealworms....they LOOOOVE it

How about a true top-dweller of some sort?

• Hatchetfish
  • Another Rainbow, the Pseudomugil furcata (Forktail Blue-Eye), gorgeous little fish!
  • Clown Killifish
  • Halfbeak species
  • Pearl/Zebra/Leopard etc. Danio

Cheers for the suggestions, I went to the fish store having read up on the forktail blue-eyes as well as the Danio species. Went with the intention of buying forktail blue-eyes. However the only stock of them this fish shop had they where tiny! So had a look at the range of Danio they had in, ended up getting longfin Zebra Danio, they look great and so have a nice little school of 7 just waiting to go into the tank.
Cheers guys

FYI you shouldn't mix Rainbowfish, including Forktails with Dwarf Neons, apparently that's a big nono anyway.

What size tank is it?

catxx, I believe you are referring to mixing several Rainbows of the Melanotaenia, as they could potentially crossbreed. However, Melanotaenia praecox (Neon dwarf) and Pseudomugil furcata (Forktail Blue Eye) is not an issue ;)

Congrats on the Longfin Zebras, siddy, they will liven up your tank no end if they are like my Pearls that went back into the Rio 240 yesterday (meeting the Opsarius and Yellowtail Congo Tetra for the first time)!
good.gif

FYI you shouldn't mix Rainbowfish, including Forktails with Dwarf Neons, apparently that's a big nono anyway.

What size tank is it?

Well by chance I have not mixed them so a bit lucky in that sense, where have you read that you shouldn't mix rainbow fish, never seen these before I have heard of it but never seen any academic ideas supporting this view.
Its a 140L tank. 48 - 12 - 18 inch. With an external filter Eheim 2213.

Just becareful how many fish you add because personally I'd say that filter is a little small for that sized tank, at best you are getting 3x turnover but realistically it will be more like 2x.

I have an eheim 2217 on my 125L

Andy

Just becareful how many fish you add because personally I'd say that filter is a little small for that sized tank, at best you are getting 3x turnover but realistically it will be more like 2x.

I have an eheim 2217 on my 125L

Andy

Its meant to be a filter for a 300L tank, well thats what is says on the box. Also because I have rainbows in there I do a 50% water change each week which helps the filter + daily hovering and removing of broken off plants and leaves. Ive never had any problems with the filter but cheers for the suggestion and I will keep an eye on it to make sure it is fine.

Hi,

Technically it is for a tank rated up to 250L but thats rated by manufacturers not aquarists.

Ideally most people would recommend you aim for 5x your tank turnover, meaning if your tank is 140L then you would want a filter that is circulating 700L an hour (5x140L) whereas the 2213 circulates 390L per hour after media is taken into consideration and that figure is based on clean media so once the sponges get some gunk in them etc the circulation rate would drop even further.

This just basically means that you would have to watch what you stock and make sure you dont overstock the tank.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back