What fish/ others to get when you can't feed daily

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kirstenfeb

Reaction score
Hello!
I want to get a fish tank (25 liters) because I am very new to the hobby.

Side note; I have done plenty of research about how to aquascaping (what products? What plants? How to clean an aquarium, water changes, filters....). I really like plants so I want to begin with that!

Now, I was considering to get some shrimp and maybe a Betta fish. But I discovered that you need to feed your Betta fish 2x daily.

I have a bf and I sometimes go to his house for like 2, 3 days. So daily feeding is difficult.

So do you guys have any options/ suggestions for a fish (or other) or maybe multiple small fish ones for a 25l tank - I would not like to overpopulated and I want to give them uptimale conditions. Or have any ways of feeding them daily without actually being there? If you get what I mean. Like not ask a friend but maybe food that lasts for 3 days. Or should I just keep things with only shrimp?

I am very new and want to do research before I get into this for real because an animal deserves the best. So if you have any other tips for me that would be very welcome 😊 Thankyou!

If it were me, I would just buy an automatic feeder. There are a lot of these on the market, they are around $20-$30.

Also, I've always just fed my Bettas once a day, 3-5 pellets per day, and they've done well. Shrimp I usually feed dry foods like pellets every other day, and have a lot of moss for them to graze infusoria off of and left some algae on one of the glass walls for them to nibble on between meals.

I would not recommend keeping shrimp and Betta together. Betta will eat small shrimp and will sometimes bite off chunks of bigger shrimp, especially when the shrimp are vulnerable after just molting. The shrimp would be much safer without a Betta in the tank with them.

Fish can go 2 weeks easily without feeding! As long as you fed your fish the days you are home (like twice a week?) you should be just fine. In the tank size I definitely would stick to a betta, lots of plants, maybe a few nerite snails, and some small cherry shrimp, depending on the temperament of the betta. Betta and shrimp sometimes make good tankmates. I would start with like 3 shrimp and see how the betta does. If he eats them, don’t get more, if its all fine you could probably easily have like 12 shrimp (They have a very minimal bio load)

The automatic feeders can malfunction and dump all the food into the tank causing an ammonia spike.
I had a 25l red cherry shrimp species tank and would recommend it. start with 10 shrimp and they will breed to increase/maintain their population. They are interesting to watch. The advantage of shrimp is that they can live on biofilm/ algae on the days that you cannot feed them. Include live plants and dried leaves in the aquascape to meet the shrimps needs.

Most reactions

trending

Back