What fish is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mitch90

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what fish this is?

Bought it today, and the guy said it's name. Completely went out my head and have googled and googled. Can't find anything that it looks like.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I know is that it's not a chiclid - well, not an aggressive one anyway as its allowed in a community tank.
20211116_220426.jpg
20211116_220431.jpg

That is a cichlid, and it does certainly bear a resemblance to Apistogramma hongsloi as suggested above [I am not saying it is not, I just don't have enough experience with these fish].

A suggestion going forward...never acquire any fish you have not fully researched with respect to its habitat, maintenance requirements, temperament, size, numbers it (as a species) may require, etc. Doing this can save a lot of grief, and the poor fish should it not be suitable.

Actually could also be Apistogramma macmasteri
It's clearly a gold variety of an Apistogramma species. I'm not an expert on these but have seen them from time to time.

Thanks for the advice, looking at the variants of that type of fish, I think its actually the Apistogramma Macmasteri. wouldn't have found or remembered it without your suggestion lol.

In terms of your advice Byron, the fish keeper was asked if it would be suitable in the tank I had with the fish I had already, to which he said yes - that's the advice I follow as its far to easy to get these things wrong, so best leaving it to the expert to guide on what will work in tanks.

Unfortunately the fish keeper (or the bloke selling you the fish) isn't always the expert. Don't ever take what they tell you at face value, always do your own research or come here for advice. In my experience, the shop want to make a sale and will tell you anything to get it

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, looking at the variants of that type of fish, I think its actually the Apistogramma Macmasteri. wouldn't have found or remembered it without your suggestion lol.

In terms of your advice Byron, the fish keeper was asked if it would be suitable in the tank I had with the fish I had already, to which he said yes - that's the advice I follow as its far to easy to get these things wrong, so best leaving it to the expert to guide on what will work in tanks.

I've no idea as to the level of knowledge of your store staff, and I am assuming it was a store, but your own research is the only safe guarantee. On the other hand, if this fish came from a hobbyist who asked you about your tank and knew all the issues one needs to know about your present setup, that would be very different.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back