What Fish Do You Think This Is?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
i went fishing the other day down my local canal and caught this lovely goldfish cross something else, not sure what though :unsure: what do you think it could be?..... crucian carp?

DSC00142.jpg

oh and here's another of a crucian carp, and goldfish that i caught, i don't think this is a full goldfish, what do you think?

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

all look like goldfish to me.

what did you do with them?

put them back, they were out the water barely 30 secs, no harm done.

i agree all goldfish, no cruciancarp there.

nice catch all the same

daz

I didnt think goldfish could breed with carp?

The second pic is definetly a crucian carp but the third pic had the body and shape of a crucian carp but a gold colouration so im not sure what it is?????

The first one and the third one are goldfish, but the second i think is a crucian carp- both these fish can cross-breed with each other, goldfish are a sub-species of the crucian carp, they are very closely related fish;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucian_carp

Wild goldfish and crucian carp look so similar to me, i can barely tell them apart, but apparently the carp have a more bronze colour while wild goldfish have a green/greyish colour.
Hmm...I think your second fish could be either to be honest, i'm leaning more towards "its a goldfish" now i've studied it a bit closer- to be honest it could be either considering how much crossbreeding between the goldfish and carp there is going to be going on in that canal.

I caught these fish in a big pool, inbetween two locks, they very rarely open these locks so the fish can't escape.
its around 3ft deep and around 18ft wide, i have seen many goldfish and big carp in this pool and even a few KOI.
There are also a few pike in there, but they are still small jack's, but in a few years they could turn out to be 10lbs, and clear up the goldfish :/

People must have gotten bored with their fish and just threw them in the canal :X therefor breeding with other carp in the canal :S

Very nice goldfish. I will build them a pond next to my house and keep it in them. I love goldies.

Wow, that third one is a lovely Goldfish.. I would have been tempted to take it home and add it to my pond LOL

No point it becoming a Pike's lunch :crazy:

Forgot to sya, yes they are goldfish, nice catch.

Wow, that third one is a lovely Goldfish.. I would have been tempted to take it home and add it to my pond LOL

No point it becoming a Pike's lunch :crazy:
If Most Crucians Are Infertile How Come they Breed Well? :unsure: :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back