What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
I bought plecos and theve always outgrown the tank i once bought a chequered bard that grew abd grew to the size of a large roach. And really the silver dollars as they desicrate all the plants. I even bought a new broadleaf plant arubus yesterday and today a few half leaves have been eaten . They also have such slow painful deaths. Ive kept them for years and they are long lived which is good and bad

Thats actually really interesting, I have an albino Bristlenose and he's constantly out eating algae! Hahaha do you at least like your snails?
No im also ovetun with the little blighters. Need to find a botai. But rarely see them now i used to love the blue ones

Fancy tailed guppies....they are so inbreed and manufactured these days that they are not hardy at all. Ive lost all my fancy tails over last two years, yet tetras and corydoras have been fine. Endlers are much better, Ive had a endler that has seen fancy tails come and go, yet he goes strong....

Clown Pleco the thing never comes out I really don't see it a lot . What I want is an otocinclus
Pleco’s don’t really come out during the day. I’ve had mine for over 2 years now, and I still only see him at night.

1) Giant Danios. I got them for cheap reading about them online now I think these are simple dull looking fish that have no value addition to any of my tanks. Got 10 of them which I can barely see as my main tank is not at eye level and this fish a fast top dweller.
2) Pearl Gourami. 2 of them just died. Too shy I believe.

I cant believe I bought that pink glo tetra 2 plus years ago because I thought the granddaughter would like it..love it. I strayed from the whole Rainbow and Asian stream fish aquarium. It sticks out with that 2" glo body hovering in the shade of tall plants. He's healthy..long fins too. What was i THINKING?

I cant believe I bought that pink glo tetra 2 plus years ago because I thought the granddaughter would like it..love it. I strayed from the whole Rainbow and Asian stream fish aquarium. It sticks out with that 2" glo body hovering in the shade of tall plants. He's healthy..long fins too. What was i THINKING?
You are just a big softie, do anything for the granddaughter. That's cute

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
None. I love all the fish I buy!
Except that frog but its not a fish.
I don't even know what it was but it looked cool so I bought it and then it suffocated itself, at least that's what I remember, it was long ago.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back