What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I donā€™t regret buying any of my fish i love them all the same

I regret listening to the local pet shop about the fish Iā€™ve bought from them and regret not researching some of them properly before gettting them

Moral of this story-Never listen to the store owner/Staff as there primary goal is to sell stock not worry about where that stock is going to live!
Got to agree with this!!! Definitely have fallen victim to being sold some totally inappropriate fish for my setups šŸ¤Ŗ

got to say my biggest fail was the figure 8 puffer I was encouraged to get - just way to complex for me and so so messy!!!!!! Those tiny cute eyes were awesome and he had a great personality defo loved him a lot but ended up with algae everywhere and got myself in a hot mess šŸ™ƒ

I guess for me it's Oscars ...they grew big in a supper fast without me realising there are Kings...

But they are the reason that I started to have me own pond outside the house ....da

There is always good comes out from the bad decisions.

Many years ago I got a Vietnamese freshwater blenny, Phenablennius heyligeri. It was such an amazing little fish. In retrospect all this time later, I guess I don't so much regret buying it as which tank I put it in, but I had massive regret after I'd had it for a month. Woke up one day ad it had vanished. For 6 months I was sure I'd killed it somehow but I never found a body. Then one day it swam out from the under gravel filter tube to say hi and promptly went back in there for another month. It had grown and was totally healthy, but I only saw it once in a blue moon while it lived in my filter. I still have no idea what that species is like if you actually keep them in a tank where they can't just disappear down a tube.

Many years ago I got a Vietnamese freshwater blenny, Phenablennius heyligeri. It was such an amazing little fish. In retrospect all this time later, I guess I don't so much regret buying it as which tank I put it in, but I had massive regret after I'd had it for a month. Woke up one day ad it had vanished. For 6 months I was sure I'd killed it somehow but I never found a body. Then one day it swam out from the under gravel filter tube to say hi and promptly went back in there for another month. It had grown and was totally healthy, but I only saw it once in a blue moon while it lived in my filter. I still have no idea what that species is like if you actually keep them in a tank where they can't just disappear down a tube.
Is this the first that you refer too ?

1635905170267.png

Credit to
ę‚ éŠé­šåŠ: äøƒęœˆ2010

Celestial Pearl Danios. Did great at first and even bred then it all went bad. They hid all the time so despite being beautiful fish could not enjoy them. Tried to increase the numbers but kept getting sickly or doa fish. They all eventually passed and I never want to keep them again.

For me it was barbs (gold and cherry) I added only 6 of them to my 60gallon community tank and they took the spotlight and scared my other fish to the sides of the aquarium. Luckily they didn't do anything bad (like in other people's stories) other than not match the rest of the fish in activity levels, but these were the fish I wish I hadn't gotten. :) I ended up rehoming them a little while after I got them.

I'm having a similar problem with a handful of Rasbooras now,
All they need is Doc Martins and Braces and they'd be a fully fledged Goon Squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guppies. I bought a pair and within 7wks had 92 :(

My hubbie persuaded me to buy 2 synodontis as he really wanted them... they eat anything small enough to fit in their somewhat large gobs!

Guppies. I bought a pair and within 7wks had 92 :(

My hubbie persuaded me to buy 2 synodontis as he really wanted them... they eat anything small enough to fit in their somewhat large gobs!
Which species? I know the smaller upside down cats (synodontis nigriventris) are fairly passive though they will eat very small fish like frys. There are other species that are more aggressive (and quite a bit larger as well as larger mouths).

petricola.

Sadly they are hunters, I sit and watch them stalking small fry / fish hence nothing small goes in the tank now. They're also suited to a harder water than I have but seem ok in the tank, I'm more careful with newer additions, they joy of a bit more experience.

I donā€™t regret buying any because I havenā€™t bought any. Iā€™m here to learn.

when you guys buy a handful of new fish (around 5-ish lets say), would you generally expect to lose one to stress/ incompatibility/ health, or am remiss to introduce that many into an established community at one time?
Tell you, Im over buying Molies, Balloon Mollies doubly so,
and Snails too.

Biggest regret - Red Tail Catfish
Got one when I first started, LFS told me it might get a couple feet (pre-internet). I had a plan to build a pond in my basement which, knowing what I know now, still would not have been sufficient. He was an awesome fish, practically a dog.

Years later I got to see some full grown RTC's at a zoo. It's amazing how big they get considering how small they start. It's a fish that has no place in the hobby, but you can still buy them if you look.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back