What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is the first time I have ever heard of a rabbit being a companion for a Betta, Does it sit on the top of the tank or something.
They have little scuba kits - here is a picture of a pair:

Fish that I regret buying......hmmmm.....let me see.....

The Cories who do their nightly backflips at 1am 6" away from my head when I am trying to sleep perhaps?

"Will you 'orrible lot go to bed please, I'm trying to sleep!"

Which, as you can imagine is entirely ignored.

Or Bristles...one of my BN's...who hangs upside down into the Aquael Turbo outlet to have a poo, the flow of said outlet promptly plants the poo onto the glass whilst Bristles just sits there (I can almost see the stupid grin and hear the evil giggles from him)

Or Pinky...another young BN who is the most unusual colour (salmon pink with blue eyes)....who has a great time sitting in the Aquael Turbo outlet for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever

I have very delinquent fish...but do I regret buying any of them?

Never.

How can you not love those silly fishy antics....even if it is at 1am? ;)

I bought some trumpet snails. They were great for stirring up the substrate. Gave tremendous life to my plant roots.

bred out of control though. So I got some assassin snails. They decimated the trumpet snails, and started breeding out of control.

good news is, I’m selling off the assassin snails to other poor souls that got snails like me.

for simpsons fans, it’s the ol’ “I’ll pull my legs out with my arms, and my arms out with my face…” syndrome…

well...Baloon mollies.They were just too garish. Ours had an awful habit of looking ok but actually sick.

So strange so many mention bristlenosed plecos. Right now I have 6 of them and they have LOTS of caves set up specifically for them but they rarely use them. They are out all day and all night, Perhaps they are attracted to me for some reason LOL. These are actually among my favorite fish, I did once have a pleco that was stunning looking and I spent $110 on him. He never left his cave. The only way we found out he had died was when we did a water change - we always cleaned under and in all the caves just for that reason, He was just completely unfriendly to every person and fish. The ones I really regret getting were the large gourami's. I bought them online and I guess I was new enough to all of this that I didn't think through the fact that I only kept dwarf gourami for a reason, Oh and to make it worse our ONLY non-big box pet store sold me a cichlid and lied to me by telling me it was a gourami. To make matters worse they were all crammed in this small tank and even under these horrible conditions they produced 3 babies that quickly grew to the size of their parents, I put an add in our Nextdoor website and a nice guy with a 200 gallon tank took them off my hands, What a relief. Amazingly they weren't particularly aggressive just way too big for my tank. I'm so glad I found them a good home. Never again will I purchase full-size gourami.

My BN's are awesome characters.....if a little annoying sometimes.

I have Digger, called this name due to his love of landscape gardening, he is an albino/red eye. If something needs repositioning or he wants to get underneath his favourite mopani, he goes hell for leather with tail and fins and sculpts sand dunes, which then confuse the rest of the residents who could have sworn that pile of sand wasn't there a moment ago.

Then there is Bristles, called this name due to his magnificent set of bristles, he is a black/dark eye. He is a greedy little sausage, always first in the queue under the food hatch, constantly pretending he has not been fed for years when he had been 5 minutes ago. He also likes to redecorate the glass with his poo by haning upside down in the filter outlet.

Another one is Rosy, called this name due to the silly grin on her face "all is very rosy" with her, she is black/dark eye. She spends her day lounging on her leaf hammock, watching the Cories splattering their eggs before becoming a BN cruise missile to devour the eggs before they get a chance to stick.

Scooter is an albino/blue eye, she is always on the move. Spends her day scuttling about playing hide and seek with Firecracker my male Red Throat Viejita. They get on like a house on fire...oddly...and can be found after lights out sleeping beside each other

My last two are very young...Bubble is an albino/blue eye and her sister is Squeak, an albino red eye....they spend all day mooching about, playing hide and seek with each other. Their "party pieces"....Bubble likes to spend time in the outlet of the filter pretending to fly and Squeak likes to play dead by laying on her back, motionless. She then waits for me to get the gear out to check on here before scurrying under the rocks with a stupid grin on her face.

I'm mixed on my pleco. I really like my L204 (picture below); and my lemon pleco have interesting personalities. But then there is my plain male bn that i see once every 6 monhts (talk about a fish that hide) and my clown pleco that i see once every 9 months (at least i know where he hides) and my L333 who sticks his tail out of his hiding place because he is confident that if he can't see you you can't see him. Next year i'll pick up a blue phantom and gold nugget and we shall see how they behave. I will say that buying them young and raising them increases the chances they will be more friendly though the L333 and clown pleco where both little kids when purchased. I have 7 L204 and they do have different level of tolerance to myself but all of them will scatter if i move too fast...
f1.jpg

The fish I most regret buying (but were also some of my favs). Clown fish.

Amazing personality, beautiful to look at and fun to watch. Little buggers destroyed so many of my corals by "hosting" them. They are often sold as being reef safe but they 100% are not!

They were also angry, angry little fish. There is this fish no longer then my finger and every single time I had my hands in the tank it would come and attack me. Like I'm at least 1000 times bigger than you, give it a break.

The fish I most regret buying (but were also some of my favs). Clown fish.

Amazing personality, beautiful to look at and fun to watch. Little buggers destroyed so many of my corals by "hosting" them. They are often sold as being reef safe but they 100% are not!

They were also angry, angry little fish. There is this fish no longer then my finger and every single time I had my hands in the tank it would come and attack me. Like I'm at least 1000 times bigger than you, give it a break.
Well that is not unique to clowns; my fresh water angelfishes do the same thing.... well not all of them some of them are incredibly gentle when i feed them but at least two are out to get me.

I kinda regret buying 3 honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna).

Now, websites at the time said ideal is 3 honeys with ratio 2 females to one male.

These were not honeys in the sense of the word of being sweet, mean little so and so’s.

They bullied each other, two ganging up on one lone honey one day and the next day different two would gang up on a different lone honey.

One day lost a honey gourami due to this bullying, took the other two back to the store, no refund or anything, just got rid of them to the store and wished the next person who has them better luck than I had with them.

Vowed not to get honey gouramis again since.

Beautiful but fickle creatures.

A synodontis many years ago. It disappeared from view as soon as I put it into my tank and I Never saw it again until it’s rotting corpse revealed itself a couple of years later. I didn’t know they were nocturnal! Kuhli loaches were also pretty disappointing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back