What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
This has been a fun read!
great topic!
My fish regret was many many years ago and it was a red devil.
He was so adorable that I couldnā€™t say no.
I brought him home to my empty cycled 60gallon and admired him for hours.
went to bed and woke to every single thing in the tank (gravel included) pushed up one side of the tank.
it was so methodically done.
It looked like it was pasted to the wall.
I couldnā€™t believe it.
I fixed it and he redid it ā€¦.every single time.
I realized he hated his home, or me..or both.
Luckily the LFS took him back.
I was very sad. I loved him.
Such a great pity that the wonderful resources we have access to today weren't so readily available back in the day.
Here's what Seriously Fish has to say about the Red Devil.

Such a great pity that the wonderful resources we have access to today weren't so readily available back in the day.
Here's what Seriously Fish has to say about the Red Devil.
OMGOODNESS thatā€™s hilarious and spot on!!!! Im trying to recall if I even had a computer back then?! If I did it would have been dial up AOL service and none of this would have exsisted. Haha
But man, this could have saved me for sure!!!
Thanks for sharing, thatā€™s really funny!

This has been a fun read!
great topic!
My fish regret was many many years ago and it was a red devil.
He was so adorable that I couldnā€™t say no.
I brought him home to my empty cycled 60gallon and admired him for hours.
went to bed and woke to every single thing in the tank (gravel included) pushed up one side of the tank.
it was so methodically done.
It looked like it was pasted to the wall.
I couldnā€™t believe it.
I fixed it and he redid it ā€¦.every single time.
I realized he hated his home, or me..or both.
Luckily the LFS took him back.
I was very sad. I loved him.
Look on the bright side; he didn't bite your finger off....

Look on the bright side; he didn't bite your finger off....
Lol seriously. I never knew a fish could be so Boisterous. I swore my husband did it as a joke the first time but it was faaarrrr to methodical and perfect. It was like a puzzle!!
then when he repeated it over and over I was like this fish needs a freakin circus šŸŽŖ

I regret every single betta I owned (that my mom bought, FYI) when I was 4-9 years old. Poor guys got stuck in a 1 gal with no filter, no heater, a kid who either A: Forgot to feed them entirely or B: Fed them waaaay too much, and no water changes. :-(

I regret every single betta I owned (that my mom bought, FYI) when I was 4-9 years old. Poor guys got stuck in a 1 gal with no filter, no heater, a kid who either A: Forgot to feed them entirely or B: Fed them waaaay too much, and no water changes. :-(
Curious was it the fish you regretted or your treatment of the fish ?

Guppies. Whenever Iā€™ve had guppies in the past they have never lasted very long despite excellent water conditions. Now I wonā€™t even consider them, attractive as they are.

My bristle nose plecos. They are hardly ever seen and just another thing to feed. Although they arenā€™t fish, I also bought Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my early days. Who does that? A normally reputable guy on another forum told me to get them since I had added sand as my substrate in a tank. Now they are everywhere!
definitely hate the Malaysian trumpet snail. They are a mess.

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?

probably the betta. Paid a lot for him on eBay and heā€™s in good health but looks nothing like the photo. Also not excited about one fish living alone in a nice ten gallon tank.

probably the betta. Paid a lot for him on eBay and heā€™s in good health but looks nothing like the photo. Also not excited about one fish living alone in a nice ten gallon tank.
Doesn't have to be alone; could add some mystery or nerite snails or even a rabbit.

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
Yo-Yo loach, was supposed to help with my snail problem but he just bullied his tank mates.
and I think scissortail rasboras. They were beautiful fish, but I wanted them to school around and they don't stick together šŸ˜” They are still pretty but they don't have any personality.

I am beginning to regret my Orange Chromides. I originally couldn't find them anywhere, and then the lfs got some and I purchased. Then a pair started breeding so I had to move the others. Then neither I nor the parents could keep any of the fry alive. Then another pair started breeding in another tank and killed a couple of their tank mates. And these guys were supposed to be peaceful? I am just tired of the heartache of raising fry again and again, only for it to end in disaster. I might give up on breeding them all together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back