What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I put tiger barbs in a tank full of guppies and woke up the next morning to a few missing tails. The barbs went straight back to the LFS. A shame, as they were great to watch.

I put tiger barbs in a tank full of guppies and woke up the next morning to a few missing tails. The barbs went straight back to the LFS. A shame, as they were great to watch.
OUCH....carnage

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
Guppies

Guppies. No more non Heterandria Formosa livebearers for me due to single sex aggression issues.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
Oh my main mollies marshmallow and snowflake! Those two harassed all the females until I moved them...now they harass the males ?

I regret buying any and all fish, and tanks and gear and birds and plants and everything else I have ever bought. If I didn't buy anything, I would be rich, rich, rich I say. rich :)
It's been a great experience keeping fish and reptiles but... I would have to agree that if I never had gotten into the hobby, I'd have a lot more money than I do now...
Rich in money perhaps, but poor in life fulfillment wouldn't you say.

Rich in money perhaps, but poor in life fulfillment wouldn't you say.
nope. I haven't had a fulfilling life. The last time I went on holiday was in 1989 after I was hit by a car and was still trying to recover. I don't go out. Nobody visits. A heap of money instead of fish and birds would mean I don't have horrible memories of watching them die all over the place.

I regret buying a betta in 2007 because since then it has cost me a fortune in other thanks and fish and food and equipment and electric oh and mistakes ???

I wouldn't say that regret buying any of the fish I've kept over the years, but I do regret taking in one of my friends sick flower horns. I tried for weeks to nurse the thing back to health, only to see him becoming progressively more ill. It cost me a lot of time and money to try and get that fish back to health but in the end he just stopped feeding and I eventually found him dead in the tank.

I spent a long time after that wondering if I could of done more for him, and maybe years later with the advancement of treatments he could of been saved.

Balloon mollies. I only had one but it was a horrible swimmer and the other fish picked on it.

2 x fred or red tail black sharks at the same time. "Oh they will be ok together in a 4 foot tank" yeah they will it's everything else that was caught up in the crossfire.

only fish we had that got named as well, so couldn't just send back to lfs.

they where still together when sold the tank and got 1 x fred

My 4 three-striped dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma trifasciata). Was not the dwarf cichlid species I was even aiming for in the first place (Borelli or Panduro) and only went with them because I thought they were the only ones in the store that had females, only to at this point think that at most I got 1 female out of the bunch if not ALL males anyway.

To top it off, they don't look as colorful as the species I was looking at, plus at a distance they blend in with my black neon tetras just a little too well. And these were supposed to be my centerpiece fish...

I regret buying any of the expensive L series plecos that never lasted more than a few months.
Oh no.....thats sad to hear. Why didn't they last? I've had mine a few months, now I'm getting worried.

Attachments

• 20210403_182032.jpg
    20210403_182032.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210310_115444.jpg
    20210310_115444.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 57
Black racer, or any type of nerite, cannot take over a tank. The eggs don''t hatch in fresh water, they need brackish water (between fresh and sea water in saltiness). Females do lay sesame seed-like eggs but they just stay there. That's the downside to nerites. The eggs just stay there looking like a rash of white measles over the decor. But if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Mystery snails lay eggs looking like a bunch of grapes above the water so they are easy to see. All you have to do is remove the egg clusters. Again, if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Other snails - the large ramshorns and pest snails, lay their eggs in jelly under the water where they are hard to find. And Malaysian trumpet snails are livebearing snails so no eggs to find. These are the ones that take over.
The main cause of a snail population explosion is over feeding the fish. If there's no left over food, the snails don't multioly as fast.
I have 5 zebra snails, they are lovely and keep the tank amazingly clean from algae. But yes...im just learning about the eggs....doesn't really bother me to much, im just glad they don't hatch hahah

Attachments

• 20210403_151853.jpg
    20210403_151853.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210302_124102(0).jpg
    20210302_124102(0).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210302_124513.jpg
    20210302_124513.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210307_072824.jpg
    20210307_072824.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 49
Oh no.....thats sad to hear. Why didn't they last? I've had mine a few months, now I'm getting worried.
The first L333 i had was pretty shy, hardly ever saw him and never saw him eat so we thought he'd eventually starve but he actually grew and became more confident to come out so he was going really well (he was my favorite fish for a while)....then one day he just disappeared! Didn't really have any fish that could eat him so still confused about that one.

Then i bought 3 more L333s from a breeder and they all died one by one, no idea why. Maybe they were sick before i got them? Everything else living in the tanks i've kept them in has thrived so i'm not sure why i have so much bad luck with them.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back