What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Convicts,

They are beautiful and fun to watch, as they are easy to keep, but they are extremely territorial and constantly on conflict with other fishes, in my cases with the Oscar and a bushy nose pleco. :confused:

He spent his time patrolling his rock, "his apartment".
I have always loved how convicts looked! Yours look amazing, is the oscar bigger than them? If so then they are extremly brave attacking a bigger fish and I'm sorry to hear that they are so conflicting :(

Got to say I already have another regret :(
I decided to retry owning firemouths and I made a mistake by mixing them with SA cichlids as they are just aliens to everything and one of them is actually really docile so I struck luck there but the other one well is a male who is just the boss of the tank and really messed with the balance I had. Thank god I actually have a backup plan as I will eventually move them both to a new tank which will be much better for them but I want to grow them up a bit first. There's alot of issues with mixing biotopes of cichlids and I still tried it thinking with my head in the clouds as when these fish are mature they will be terrors as I have recently learned that central american cichlids in general are just too fast and aggressive for their south american counterparts, not to mention water parametres which I luckily have at mainly neutral. At least I'm prepared this time and have learned from so many people :)

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
My Golden nugget pleco, barely ever see him!

I regret the mollies I bought to use as feeder food . I wish I went with platys or guppies instead

For me it was barbs (gold and cherry) I added only 6 of them to my 60gallon community tank and they took the spotlight and scared my other fish to the sides of the aquarium. Luckily they didn't do anything bad (like in other people's stories) other than not match the rest of the fish in activity levels, but these were the fish I wish I hadn't gotten. :) I ended up rehoming them a little while after I got them.

I didin't really buy them but I got them for free... a whole bunch of green terrors of different sizes. The lfs owner couldn't get rid of them. So, after more than a year of having them at the store, he caught them all and gave them to me. Even at a young age they can be that aggressive and even be canabalistic. At some point I've put them outdoors in a large tub. And fortunately, a german enthusiast was looking for them. I told him he could have them all for free. But he had to get them out of that tub by himself. And so he did...
These are one of the cichlid species you should keep in a species only tank and a preferably a low number of them. I've noticed that even a smaller specimen would attack a larger specimen without any problems. So yes, the name "green terror" was really in place.

Most reactions

trending

Back