What filter?

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What are the best filters to use?
Is there a brand or type that is preferred?

It is for cichlids at this point.

I have in the past and currently using Hangon filter, never used anything else

Modern HOBs are really good, just needs to be sized right for the tank. I've always gone for externals though to keep equipment out of the tank and and you typically get more powerful filters with more turn over in externals which is important for messy fish like cichlids.

Wills

Modern HOBs are really good, just needs to be sized right for the tank. I've always gone for externals though to keep equipment out of the tank and and you typically get more powerful filters with more turn over in externals which is important for messy fish like cichlids.

Wills
This might be a stupid question,
But if you have 2 or 3 tanks do you have separate filters for each?
Or is there a filter that can do more then 1 tank

This might be a stupid question,
But if you have 2 or 3 tanks do you have separate filters for each?
Or is there a filter that can do more then 1 tank
Usually you need one filter per tank as otherwise you would have a very elaborate system of pumps etc. 2 exceptions to that though, if you have air driven sponge filters you can use a single air pump to power them all or if you have a sump you can have a rack of tanks (2-3 on top of each other) and you can have them all connected but I dont know how this works lol.

Wills

For a Cichlid tank under gravel are not great, as Cichlids tend to move gravel. Personally, after years of fish keeping, I only use internals. The cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. I use Hailea's and always have a backup. But really, I don't know why I bother I have only had one pack up in ten years.

Are under gravel filters needed?
Not only are they not needed, they are outdated, messy, and a pain to deal with.

For HOBs, I like the AquaClears, currently have 5 of them running, on 4 different tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back