What filter to use for a 55 gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a 55 gallon long fishtank for my two goldfish i got from my neighbors. They are super small, only a couple inches long, and i dont want a filter that will suck them in. I want to have a lot of plants and the fish are already 5 years old (according to my neighbors) and probably wont get bigger. I already have some black aquarium sand and might add a patch of gravel. I have experience with sponge filters, so should i go with those or do you guys recommend a different one based on experience? Also, what tankmates might you recommend for goldfish of their size?

I just got a 55 gallon long fishtank for my two goldfish i got from my neighbors. They are super small, only a couple inches long, and i dont want a filter that will suck them in. I want to have a lot of plants and the fish are already 5 years old (according to my neighbors) and probably wont get bigger. I already have some black aquarium sand and might add a patch of gravel. I have experience with sponge filters, so should i go with those or do you guys recommend a different one based on experience? Also, what tankmates might you recommend for goldfish of their size?
You could get a few sponge filters. I have a fluval canister in mine that works great.

i tend to think goldfish do great in a species only tank. Especially considering their awkward bioload and toxic ammonia. You could maybe do zebra fish but ive never kept either to be honest

Sponge filters would be good, as you're already familiar with those. To make more space in the tank, you could look at Hang On Back-type filters, as these tend to be a little cheaper than external cannister filters. That said, many of the better external and internal filters have controls that can increase or reduce flow...and it's always good to have at least one 'spare' filter. ;)

Without know the condition of the water, it would be careless to make any solid recommendations for tank mates, but I do hear tell that White Cloud Mountain Minnows do well...and these are grossly underrated fish and look really good when in the right water.

Goldfish produce a ton of waste, I’m not sure sponge filters would be able to entirely handle it. I would suggest 2 AquaClear 50 hand on backs. Its what I’ve got on my own 55 and is working great. If one fails, you’ve got that second one already running. Here is how mine look in my planted tank
419C7A75-BCBE-4AB2-890A-D68E70C87328.jpeg

I 2nd the suggestion for the Aquaclear HOB filter, But I would opt for one AC70 filter instead of two AC50's.
I have two AC70's on my 60g planted tank (using AC50 impellers and both are totally filled with sponge material.
Alternatively, you might select the Seachem Tidal filter.

Note: Sponge filters are great and I use them in several grow out tanks in the basement. However, for a display tank in a living area they are a bit ugly so a HOB is better. You could use a canister filter, but the HOB is much easier to service.

a 55 gallon tank, i would use a canister filter for anything over 30 gallons. Another option would be to use multiple power/sponge filters. You could just get a very large sponge filter, or multiple small ones.

Goldfish do make a lot of waste, so a better option would be something more tough, like a canister filter. Multiple power filters would work to, in all i would strongly recommend a canister filter, a lot of power filters will work, but canister filters are the best.

For tank mates, your best options are: Zebra danios, mosquito fish and other goldfish. A freshwater lobster could work, or maybe some guppies. Goldfish are best kept alone so i wouldn't get any tankmates for it. The most recommended are zebra danios and mosquito fish, i would do some research because i dont know much about Coldwater fish.

Last edited:
I 2nd the suggestion for the Aquaclear HOB filter, But I would opt for one AC70 filter instead of two AC50's.
I have two AC70's on my 60g planted tank (using AC50 impellers and both are totally filled with sponge material.
Alternatively, you might select the Seachem Tidal filter.

Note: Sponge filters are great and I use them in several grow out tanks in the basement. However, for a display tank in a living area they are a bit ugly so a HOB is better. You could use a canister filter, but the HOB is much easier to service.
Yer basic single sponge filter I’d agree with but double barrelled/Shotgun sponge filters are the most beautiful filters available in the hobby. Design classics and cooler than cool.

I probably wouldn’t use them for a big fish producing masses of waste though.

Yer basic single sponge filter I’d agree with but double barrelled/Shotgun sponge filters are the most beautiful filters available in the hobby. Design classics and cooler than cool.
I probably wouldn’t use them for a big fish producing masses of waste though.
Sponge filters are GREAT bio-filters, but get low marks for mechanical filtration. And ALL sponge filters catch the eye and detract from the potential natural beauty of a planted tank which can look like a window into nature.

Now if one will have colored gravel, air driven treasure chests, deep sea divers, sponge bob and/or the like, then maybe it doesn't matter, but otherwise any sponge filter can be a bit of an eyesore.
(again, don't get me wrong, I love sponge filters and use them in several grow out tanks, just not in a planted display tank.

And in this case, for goldfish, it's just a no go as more mechanical filtration is definitely required. :)

Sponge filters are GREAT bio-filters, but get low marks for mechanical filtration. And ALL sponge filters catch the eye and detract from the potential natural beauty of a planted tank which can look like a window into nature.

Now if one will have colored gravel, air driven treasure chests, deep sea divers, sponge bob and/or the like, then maybe it doesn't matter, but otherwise any sponge filter can be a bit of an eyesore.
(again, don't get me wrong, I love sponge filters and use them in several grow out tanks, just not in a planted display tank.

And in this case, for goldfish, it's just a no go as more mechanical filtration is definitely required. :)
I wonder if there's a market for Sponge Filter Bob Squarepants?

I wonder if there's a market for Sponge Filter Bob Squarepants?
Oh we might laugh it up.... but remember the pet rock!!! Dollars to donuts (royalties aside) if someone came up with a Sponge Bob Square Pants filter, it could quickly become a youngsters favorite and a fortune could be made before the bubble burst. Okay folks, you heard it here first. :rofl:

He has two small permanently stunted goldfish. Their bioload will not be a major problem in a 55 gallon. His concern is the fish are so small, filters made for large tanks might hurt them. This is not much of a concern. You can just use pre-filter sponges on standard filters. It won't suck them up if they're healthy.

He has two small permanently stunted goldfish. Their bioload will not be a major problem in a 55 gallon. His concern is the fish are so small, filters made for large tanks might hurt them. This is not much of a concern. You can just use pre-filter sponges on standard filters. It won't suck them up if they're healthy.
Fluval Edge pre filter sponges fit AquaClear filter intakes perfectly. Only $2 a piece at Petco

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back