What exactly is this plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
What exactly is this, is it a higher form of algae or is it a plant? I found this bowl full tucked behind a piece of driftwood!
20220602_102004.jpg
20220602_102130.jpg
20220602_102316(0).jpg

Green filamentous algae. It actually looks nice in the right tank but tends to smother everything. It can grow up to a foot long and the green is nice and bright.

Green filamentous algae. It actually looks nice in the right tank but tends to smother everything. It can grow up to a foot long and the green is nice and bright.
I really like it in small doses, I was surprised to see this big blob in behind the driftwood.

I really like it in small doses, I was surprised to see this big blob in behind the driftwood.
It seems to build up and get denser in areas with bright light and little flow. I battle it in my tanks. It looks nice to my eyes when it attaches and gradually creeps over a piece of driftwood, but it also can build up and wrap itself densely around the tops of my plants (and a piece of driftwood) at the top of another tank and get annoying, having to chop the heads off the stem plants to remove the algae. It's also really hard to get rid of once you have it.

This big blob was on the window side of my tank and behind the driftwood, I found it because I looked in the window when I did my water change today.

This big blob was on the window side of my tank and behind the driftwood, I found it because I looked in the window when I did my water change today.

So with more light, and less flow since the dirftwood provides a little shelter. ;) Same as the way it tends to gather in one of my tanks, although for me it's the tank light rather than the window.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back